17. HAPPY BIRTHDAY

ANNA

"Sir, I'm sorry for involving you in my mess. I did not know that  this will blow out in proportion."

We're in his car driving to his condominium after we had our dinner at the hotel. I would sometimes see him staring blankly ahead and I was thinking, is he thinking about his life now? How it turned 180 degrees when I  hid in his car? He must hate me so much. He looked at me and smiled.

"You know, come to think of it, this might be a good thing, you know."

"Huh?!"

"I mean, I closed a deal with a very elusive client. We have been trying to close it for months now but he won't sign. When I got married, he signed."

"Really?"

"Yes, Really. And there are some who have signified interest in the company. Foriegn partners. Maybe you are a good omen, huh!"

"But my father told me I'm bad luck."

"For not going with their wishes?"

"I guess."

"Bad luck because instead of him, you chose to stay with me. Haha"

Silence

"Speaking of...when do you plan on leaving for Turkey? Do you think this will work? They might still come get you and you are so far I xan not protect you."

" I was thinking, maybe we could pretend that I will study there?"

"And we will still be married?"

"Oh damn! Idid not think of that. We have to divorce for your freedom."

"Freedom? MY freedom? Or yours?"

"Sir, you got tied to me unwillingly and I do not like to do that to you. Dovorce will be the only reason for us to be separated and you can remarry again."

"And you can go wherever you want too right?"

"I'm going away to escape them. You know that Sir."

"Have you not thought of  working here?"

" Who will hire me? Before I was only the daughter of Henry Ortega, now I am the wife of Seth Aaron, if they would hire me, they only want to destroy you both. Maybe for selfish purpose."

"But if someone hires you, will you stay?"

"Of course I would.  I want to work here too. I don't want to live there. But, living here would mean having to stay with my family and be forced to marry simeone I dsepise. I don't want that kind of life Mr. Aaron."

"And you're married to me...a total stranger."

"I'm sorry."

"What if I offer you a job at the office?"

"Huh?"

"Job, work, I'll hire you."

"But What would I do in your office?"

"We will think of something."

"That would be abusing my welcome Mr Aaron."

"Seth."

"Sir..."

"Call me Seth so I would give you your divorce."

"Seth."

"I was thinking if I allow you to go to Turkey now after we pretended to be so in love, your father will not be convinced and since you are just 18..."

"I turned 19 already Sir...Seth."

"Huh? When?"

"Today. I'm 19 today."

"Oh, I'm sorry I did not know. Did your parents call?"

"My Mom did. Father did not."

"Wait...we'll talk about this proposal later."

He parked the car and told me to wait for him. After fifteen minutes, he returned with a small box. He opened it and put a candle on it. He lighted the candle and turned off the light inside the car so the tiny candle is the only thing that is giving light inside the darkness of the car of the place where we are, just like my life.

"Happy birthday Anna. May all your dreams come true."

"Oh thank you, Sir. "

"Make a wish"

I wished. I blew the candle but before that, I see the face of a man who I barely know and in return know nothing about me, smiling geniunely at me and despite his very strict demeanor, he has the kindest and gentlest eyes I have ever seen in a man. I cried. Damn!

And he saw the tears before darkness engulfed us again.

He took me in his arms.

"Hey.... don't cry. I'm here. Everything's going to be okay. No one can hurt you now. I promise you that."

How can someone be so cruel
Like my dad? Why do people like him exists? Don't I mean anything to him? How can someone like Seth promise me comfort when he barely knows me?

SETH

YOU Seth Aaron is in big trouble.

Author: Please vote and comment thank you.