4. THE ENGAGEMENT

AUTHOR: Thank you to those who have started reading this especially to those who have voted, I am forever grateful. Please comment, vote and share and please don'tbe mean. Thank you.

SETH

WHAT the hell are you trying to do Seth Aaron? Why don't you just give the girl back to her parents? Why do you have to keep her here. Life was not that complicated 24 hours ago. You just stood up Berna and have not answered her texts or her or her call. Yeah she knows that it is not leading to the altar but lately you have been the one so clingy wanting to see her everynight. Didn't you just given her too much of a reason to believe that you like her more than you really intended? Come on, you know better than that and now you're here volunteering to be some stranger's knight in shining armor?
Riiiing! Riiing!
"Good Morning Mr, Aaron, Mr. And Mrs Henry Ortega are here to see you sir."

Ok Send them up."
----

Bzzzzt! Bzzzzt!

Damn, they're fast!

"Mr Ortega, Mrs. Ortega"

"Where is she? Mr. Aaron?"

"Come inside please."

Damn this man is cold. His wife is an older version of Anna. I saw their linked hands. Henry Ortega is in his mid fifties but I could see he has not allowed age to take a toll on his body. He is wearing something that says he is going to play golf after. No extra baggage in his midsection, just a flat one. Reminds me to hit the gym after this meeting. Mrs Ortega on the other hand will still give the younger girls a run for their money. She does not look fifties at all. Maybe she's in her late forties. One can mistake her to be Anna's older sister. What am I thinking?

"Please take a sit. Would you like some coffee or tea maybe?"

"No but thank you for offering Mr. Aaron."

"Call me Seth."

"Where is she? Where is Anna?"

"She's sleeping."

"Tell her to come out. We're taking her home. You see, Mr Aaron, Anna is engaged to be married to
John Sy."

"You mean, ARRANGED to be married to John Sy."

" Arranged or not, she will marry him. "

"You can't do that. I won't let you do that."

"Why so, may I ask?"

"Because I will marry her. I'm her boyfriend."

What the hell did you just say Seth Aaron? Marry her? Are you out of your mind?

"You can't do that."

"Watch me Mr. Ortega."

"She's to be married to John and it's tradition. Breaking the engagement is bad luck."

"It's 2017 for Pete's sakes and you still believe in that?"

"It's tradition, Mr Aaron. They need to do the ritual of breaking a promise."

"Whose promise? Yours?"

"You don't know what you're saying."

"All I know Mr. Ortega is , I am marrying your daughter with or without your permission. So if you have nothing more to say, i still have a bsuiness to run as you seem to have a game to attend to. Good day Mr. And Mrs Ortega. I'll show yo you to the door."

"Mr. Aaron?"

Mrs Ortega touched my arm. I looked at her and saw before me that she aged a lot twenty minutes after she entered my unit. I looked at her eyes and there are unshed tears that she must have been trying to keep from falling.

"Yes, Ma'am?"

"Please tell Anna I love her. Tell her to call me when she wants to. And take care of her Seth,
May I call you Seth?"

"Yes you may."

"Tell her Inlove her so much. She's my baby you know. And do take care of her. I have failed to do that to her. Thank you."

I did not say anything. Her husband looked grim at me.

-----

"Anna, you can come out now."

"Are they gone?"

"Yes."

"Thank you Mr.Aaron. I really need tto go now. I don't want them to be coming back for me again. I know my dad, he will come back until he gets what he wants."

"No, he won't do that."

"Why? "

"I told him, I will marry you."

"You said what?"