5. ENGAGEMENT RING

I enjoy writing about people falling in love, probably because I think the first time you fall in love is the first time that you have to figure out how you're going to orient your life. What are you going to value? What's going to be most important to you? And I think that's really interesting to write about. John Green

-----

In popular usage, an heirloom is something, perhaps an antique or some kind of jewelry, that has been passed down for generations through family members.

The term originated with the historical principle of an heirloom in English law, a chattel which by immemorial usage was regarded as annexed by inheritance to a family estate. Loom originally meant a tool. Such genuine heirlooms were almost unknown by the beginning of the twentieth century.

SETH

"But sir, we can not get married. That is the reason why I am running away. Because I can not get married to someone I do not love."

"It's the only thing that could keep you from getting married to him. Don't worry. We will not make this official. We will not consumate it. You van go anywhere you want to go, go to Turkey if you want. I will not stop you. Then we will get a divorce and go on with our lives."

"You make it sound so easy."

"We will get married in Vegas and get divorced in Vegas, that way we willmot have to endure the ceremony of a pretentious marriage"

"Oh. What will your parents say? Your family?"

" I am an adult now like you. I don't need their permission. But we need to pay them a visit before my mom disowns me."

"Oh okay. Thank you again Mr. Aaron. But I don't think I can do this?"

"Okay. Up to you. You were seen with me going out from that hotel and the media have weaved a lot of stories about us and God knows what else they have concocted. So up to you. The incident will add another feather to my macho image. But with yours.... well, I don't know if you will have enough lifetime to make them forget about it."

"Why the hell did you go there anyway?"

"You were crying. Your fiance and his goons were chasing us. I had no choice. You on the other hand rolled down your window at the wrong time."

"How did I know that was a motel?"

"You could have checked."

"And now it's my fault?"

"No one's blaming you. I'm just saying."

"Oh gosh, this has gone too far and more complicated."

"Well...you chose my car!"

"Oh damn!"

"By the way, we're having lunch with my parents. Did you bring any dress in your backpack?"

"Nope. How do I know I would be meeting someone else's parents today? I only packed for Turkey."

"Then, let's go and buy you a dress and anything that you should be wearing for the lunch."

"I can do it."

"No can do.  Let's go together. I have nothing else to do this morning. My mother, you see is 56 years old and wants to see me get married before she turns 60. She has lined up all yhe girls she thinks I should marry even the daughter of our housemaid who by the way is only 10 years old."

"That bad huh?"

"You could say that. I am helping you with your fiance issues and I am somewhat getting a piece of the cake too. So be nice to me this time. I helped you ran away remember."

"Oh man! What have I gotten myself in to?"

"A handsome temporary husband and the oldest ring in my family which we will be withdrawing from the bank. It's a a family heirloom and my grandmother gave it to me to give it to my wife."

"But I am not your wife."

"Well we have to be convincing."

"But I can't possibly wear it."

"Oh! You can just keep it and return it when it's done. It's just an old ring."

"How old is it?"

"I don't know."

"How much does it cost?"

"A million dollar I guess. I don't know. I' m not a curator. And we can always ask them people in the bank if you're interested"

"No. "

"Okay, then that's settled. You want breakfast?"

"Are you cooking?"

"Nope. We'll have brunch at the hotel where we will buy your dress.."

"I can do it. I have money you know."

"I know you do. But since I am a loooooot richer than you, allow me to buy you your dress.
You'll meet my parents."

"Suit yourself then Mr. Aaron."