Chapter Eighteen

~~Your P.O.V~~

Before you head to the lab with the rest of the team, Natasha and yourself stop to go change into something more comfortable, you quickly find a pair of leggings and an old oversized band tee that you may or may not have stolen from Tony, so far it's slipped his knowledge that his is missing and you intend to keep it that way. You throw on a sweater and find Nat waiting for you outside your door, looking on edge, just waiting for something to come out of hiding.

"Ready?" She asks before starting off towards the stairs, you simply nod, following her lead as she walks through the various levels until you reach the appropriate door. She heads into the lab with you trailing behind her, slightly out of breath from constant uphill climb.

As you enter you notice Thor's not present, but you hear Bruce already talking. "All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch." You make your way over to where your brother is standing in the deck before fully going into the lab, he gives you a sort of half hug which you return still listening to the conversation below.

"Ultron." Steve states as if trying to grasp the concept that something like this could even happen.

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." Nat informs the group, an uneasy feeling seeming to settle over the room as each looks to one another, wondering what secrets they could be keeping, yet many eyes seem to stick to Loki in particular. This causing you to send some of them harsh glares and move over a couple feet to stand next to him. As you move you send a particularly harsh glare to Tony, although he backs off as Rhodey begins speaking.

"He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" He asks, before you can even ask Maria chips in.

"Nuclear codes."

"Nuclear codes." Rhodey confirms sounding worried. "Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

"Nukes?" Nat questions from across the room. "He said he wanted us dead-"

"He didn't say dead," Steve cuts in, leaning on the table for support as he thinks, concern showing all across his face. "He said extinct." As he says it he looks around the room, almost making sure we're sure what it entails.

"He also said it killed someone." Your brother voices from beside the two of you, still on the landing, leaning on the railing in front of him.

"If it's a computer how could it make a mistake like that, or why would it say something like that? To scare us?" You ask, genuinely confused, you knew for a fact there wasn't anyone else inside, you for sure would've seen them from your corner.

"But there wasn't anyone else in the building." Hill replies, confusion lacing her tone.

"Yes there was." Tony voices while making his way to the centre of the room, just by the way he's walking you can tell somethings off and his statement didn't help ease your mind. He brings up his hand, the same small device in hand from the party, he flicks it and a large projection of what you assume to be Jarvis, from your time with Tony in the lab, comes up, completely destroyed.

"This is insane." Bruce mutters as he walks closer to the shattered image. You stand there in shock, trying to figure out how this could've happened.

"Jarvis was the first line of defence. He would've shut Ultron down, it makes sense." Steve voices standing in a corner head down, not making eye contact with anyone as he thinks.

"No," Bruce starts, Steve lifts his head to watch as he gives his own verdict. "Ultron could've assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy, this is...rage." Bruce explains, before he gets the chance to go into further detail Thor bursts through the door, headed straight for Tony. Tony turns towards the door to see who's arrived only to have Thor's hand clasp around his throat, Tony gasping for air as a result.