78: The Funeral

Emma's P.O.V

Dad was digging the grave with help from Glenn and Rick.

I noticed Beth still didn't have a blanket or anything wrapped around her lifeless body.

I looked in the bag, and somehow managed to find a sheet.

Somehow, things are going my way. That is, aside from Beth's death. That one is messing with me, but I haven't even let it out yet. I know it's bound to hit soon. I know it is for sure.

I started thinking about Beth and I's relationship. I would like to say we were close friends. She knew basically everything about me, but I felt I didn't know much about her.

I still cared about her a whole hell of a lot though.

I sighed, and I took the sheet.

I walked over to her and a pair of hands joined me in wrapping her carefully in the blanket.

I looked up to see Maggie.

I gave her a sad smile, which she returned.

As we laid out the sheet and began wrapping her in it, is when it all became real to me. Beth was gone, she was in a better place now, but she was gone.

The tears finally started falling out of my eyes, and Maggie was crying along with me.

The grave was finally dug, and I don't think I was ready for any of this.

I let Maggie and Dad lower Beth's body down. They seemed to be the closest to her, I wanted to help, but I know my stomach wouldn't let me and I don't know how to cover it up again.

Gabriel started performing the 'service'. We finally had a priest and we were going to take advantage of it, Beth deserved a fit departure.

"Sadly, we lost a loved one today. Someone who meant something to each and every one of us here. She was young, talented, and loving. Gladly we can send her off with the reassurance of her being in a better place. Today we lost a daughter... a sister... a friend.. Father, I ask you take care of this girl when she arrives there just like I know you will. We will now take a moment of silence just to ponder on all of the pleasant memories we shared with this young girl. Just a moment to celebrate her life." Gabriel paused.

I stood there, tears rolling down my face. I thought about the conversations I had with Beth. I told her everything that happened between Carl and I even before him and I were dating. I'm glad her and I had the opportunity to share those things, and survive together.

Beth Greene, you were such an important person to me. No matter how close we were, you still meant the world to me. Thank you for always listening to me and caring what I had to say. Its a shame you're gone so soon. I will make sure Valerie and Zane pay for what they have done. Say hi to Hershel for me. I love you.

The moment of silence was over.

"Father, I'd like to thank you for taking care of every single one of us here, I hope you continue to do so. Again, please take care of this young girl as we send her to you. Amen." Gabriel concluded.

We all looked around. It started with Maggie as she went up and placed a shovel full of dirt on Beth's lifeless body. Covering her up for good.

It went down the line to everyone.

I was last. When it was my turn, everyone was grabbing their things to go. I started scooping up dirt and put it on her. My stomach pained me once more, and I winced in pain. I didn't think anyone noticed, but I noticed there was no where close to enough dirt on her.