41: Just a dream

Emma's P.O.V

I was just there, stranded in the woods with no one left around me. Someone had just attacked the prison, they had a tank, took our walls right down. Blew up unnecessary amounts of our home. I didn't know if any of the people I love made it out alive. I was just there. I wanted to stay close but there were walkers in the gates. The guard towers had been blown up, there were holes in the side of the prison that were from being blown up. Walkers were everywhere. I scanned over the prison, then I turned around from my freshly taken over home, leaving behind every last person I love. I come face to face with The Governor and my mom's ex.

I woke up to Carl shaking me. I was breathing really heavily. Tears are rolling out of my eyes. I remember everything that came after meeting them. This time it was worse. It was like everything was flashing back to me at once. Every traumatizing thing I had been through with the both of them rushed to my mind at the same time the second I woke up.

"Emma, are you okay?" Carl questioned.

I shook my head no. It was one of those feelings when you were completely aware and in total control of your body but you didn't want to move because where you were, at the moment, is safe. Moving might trigger another thought. Anything could. A simple rub on the back could.

I just sat there breathing heavily and crying. I had my knees up to my chest and I sat up on the bed just staring at the wall.

"You're okay now. It was just a bad dream." Carl told me.

I shook my head. "The dream was filled with things that have happened. Its not just a dream. It really happened." I said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Carl asked.

"Can we just talk for a bit afterwards though? It doesn't matter what its about. I just gotta get my mind out of the dream." I said.

Carl nodded. "What was the dream about?" He proceeded to ask me.

"The prison was attacked, there was a tank and everything. It was completely demolished and crawling with walkers. I got out by myself and I didn't see anyone else that got out. I thought I was the only one. Then I ended up in the woods and The Governor and my mom's ex were there, just waiting for me. You woke me up before anything bad could happen in the dream but when I woke up all the memories rushed back to me. This time, it was even worse. Just all of them from both The Governor and my mom's ex coming in all from different times but with each different time the same thing happened. It wasn't even the dream, it was just everything rushing to my mind. I try my best to close all of it out." I said meanwhile tears drying to my face but just before it completely dries another tear falls.

"You don't have to worry about them anymore. Even if they did come back, theres no way I would let them lay a finger on you. I got you Em, I promise." He said.

"Thank you. I'm sorry I've become such a bother. I feel like you're always helping me with something." I said avoiding eye contact.

"You don't ever need to feel like a bother around me." Carl said.

I smiled but it quickly faded when another thought came to mind.

"What if I really am a slut?" I asked.

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

"Why did it happen to me so many times? With two different people too. I swear, its not anything that I wanted to happen. I don't know why they chose me." I said.

"Don't talk like that Em. You're not a slut and its not your fault." He said.

"Then why does Emily think I am?" I asked.