70: Free

Beth's P.O.V

All from yesterday, I got smacked, twice. I've been sexually assaulted, and forced to work against my will.

I've learned that whatever we take, we have to pay for, we pay for things by working. We even have to pay for our food, so I don't eat. We're not allowed to leave.

I met a boy named Noah yesterday, and him and I tried to escape. He got free, but I didn't. I was too busy covering him.

Its a weird feeling, but I know my people are out there. I know they're looking for me, and when they find me, I'm gonna get out of here.

Emma's P.O.V

Last night, in the middle of the night, Dad took over watch. This time he didn't really give me a choice, he told me I needed to get some form of sleep, no matter how little.

I woke up this morning, and immediately started to gag, I had forgotten how bad I smelt.

I looked out the window to see a trail of black smoke, flying off the roof.

I popped my head in the room to see Carol was still asleep.

I somehow managed to find my way out to the roof to see what was going on, and I seen my dad. He was burning two bodies.

"What happened here?" I asked.

"Last night, after I took over on watch, Carol woke up to some banging on a door. You didn't wake up, you were out cold, her and I went to go investigate and we found two walkers. Carol was gonna put them down, but I told her she didn't have to. You can probably tell one of them is a young boy, I could tell that hurt Carol more than she let on." Dad explained.

I nodded. "I think its sweet." I said, and he looked at me with a questioning look. "The fact that you took care of them for her." I explained myself.

"It's the least I could do. She saved my life and everyone else's back at Terminus." Dad said.

"You know, that might have just killed her though." I remarked.

"What do you mean?" He asked me.

"She doesn't want to kill. She had to there. I could see it in her eyes when she left. Thats the whole reason I said what I did. If I couldn't tell how badly she didn't want to kill, I would've never admitted any of that. I just want her to be happy, its what she deserves after everything." I said, right as Carol rounded the corner on the roof.

Dad set the last body into the fire.

"Thank you." She said to Dad, for taking care of the bodies.

After that, we all gathered in the room. Packing up our things. They decided to bring bags with them, but stupidly I didn't. I can't really be blamed though, I thought we would only be gone for a little.

To be honest, the last bag I had was the one I left the prison with. I don't even remember what happened to it. I think I left it in the truck, the one that had to be left behind because of the gas tank being destroyed by bullets. I might've taken it with me, and left it with Glenn and Tara when I just abandoned them, like I said, I don't remember. It wasn't important anyways, not if I could just leave it so easily.

I blanked out from the conversation, they were talking about where the car was headed, I was more interested in my thoughts.

I wonder if one of them would be willing to let me take the book along, the one Dad noticed, I think it would be helpful for him too. I just don't want to ask, its clear that I have problems with it, but I don't know how to even approach that conversation.