69: Hugs and Hospital Rooms

Beth's P.O.V

I woke up to the sound of a clock ticking. I still haven't opened my eyes. I don't really know what I was expecting to see when I opened my eyes. I wanted to see Patricia, Otis, Dad, Jimmy, Maggie, Mom, and anyone else who had died from this infection, just sitting around me, completely okay. I even wanted to see Zach, who was my boyfriend at the prison, even though I met him after all of this. I wanted to wake up and see I hit my head, and went into a coma, and all of this was just a sick, twisted coma dream.

I still haven't opened my eyes.

I still wanted to know everyone from the prison, just on different terms. I wanted to know Daryl, Glenn, Emma, Rick, Carl, Maggie, Lori, T-Dog, Carol, Judith, and anyone else, even the people that died, just not like this. The world has ended, at first things were worse for me. I wanted to end it all, just kill myself. I now realize, there's more out there than that. Despite the world being a hell on earth, I realized theres still people out there to care for me, to love me. In this mess, you learn who you can trust real quick, nowadays, your life is on the line everywhere you go, every step, every breath, its all just risking yourself. The type of people you want to surround yourself with in this world, are the ones who would put their life even further on the line, putting your life before theirs, just to make sure you stay safe. I knew I had that with Daryl, with Rick, with Emma, with Carl, with Maggie, with Dad, and anyone else that I had stuck with. The ones I had made a part of my family, whether they like it or not.

I still haven't opened my eyes.

I just wanted to lay here for a bit longer, I wanted to wait and savor the moment when I see everyone I thought I lost, because I know theres no way any of this is real, there's no way any of this happened.

Thinking I had now waited long enough, I fluttered my blue eyes open. I was in a hospital room, as I assumed, they have a distinct smell, kinda like cleaning products, if that makes sense.

I looked around the room, and I saw no one. No one was there for me, I was all alone. I seen a clock on the wall. It was still working, it was still ticking, that was easily what I had been hearing.

There was an IV in my arm, I assume its only saline to keep me hydrated while I was out.

Feeling really confused, I moved to the window that was in my room. I seen buildings, all blacked out, some of them half way destroyed, just waiting for someone to come finish the job.

I looked around for walkers, the things that have ruined the world as we know it. I knew they were there, but for some reason I just needed the clarification.

I wasn't on the bottom floor of this hospital, so I knew I would have a harder time finding one, but then I noticed one stumbling around, cluelessly, in a half-way destroyed, abandoned office building. I could tell it used to be a woman, she was wearing a purple pantsuit that had a huge coffee stain on it. Her face was torn up, she had a bite mark on her right cheek, and crusted blood, stained to the left side of her mouth. Still stumbling around, I watched rather attentively as she stumbled out the side of the building. There used to be a wall there but not anymore.

I watched as she fell out of my view, and I was waiting to hear some sort of crash, some sort of noise indicating she hit the ground, but I never did.

I looked down at my right hand and noticed I had a cast, the kind that only covers your wrist, not the one that goes up past your elbow.

I looked out the grimy window and seen the sad, tired world at it's lowest point.

Suddenly, I became panicked, I started beating on the door, I was locked in from the outside.

"Hi! Hello!" I shouted, trying to get someone's attention as I beat on the door.