12. The Job

I sat in the table across from Austin and Camila. I didn't bother to look up and just let my mom and dad did all the talking.

"It's so finally nice to meet you," Michele said to my dad.

"It is, I heard Hanna's best friend is your son."

"Austin, they been together for very long. Maybe he can learn a few things from you." Michele responded as she guided the conversation to him.

Everyone started to talk about music, including Camila. She was having even a stronger bond with him than I ever had. My mom started to pretend to join in and know a few things, she was finally happy after raising two kids on her own.

But was I happy?

"Excuse me," I said and left the table. I went to the upstairs bathroom so it'd take longer for me to walk down the stairs. This dinner was so bad, I hate every moment of it

Before I could stay there for another minute, I heard my mom calling me from downstairs.

"Coming," I yelled back. With my shoulders slouching, I sat back in my seat uncomfortably.

"We have news," my mom started.

I looked down to the table knowing what was going to come out of her mouth. I'm sure that everyone could tell that I was over with this dinner but nothing can make me happy at this moment.

"We are going to move to New York, I want my family to be there as my music grow. I've did Amanda so wrong and I just want to pay back every moment I lost with my family." My dad proudly announced his news.

I felt hate and anger inside me. He suddenly wants me now that I'm grown and my first love will never be my dad. It'll always be all the boys that hurt me and he wasn't there to protect me.

I looked up to see everyone's responses and Austin was already staring at me. "I hope you enjoy your life better at New York," he said and wrapped his arm around Camila.

I just smiled and looked away. Maybe I'll be able to find a better best friend or better myself to look for a better guy. I didn't know if moving was a good idea or not. What if my hatred for my dad just never go away?

"Are you excited?", my mom asked.

Of course, my sister was beyond excited.
"I can't wait to get my new room and meet new friends?", she yelled. I really wish I was as gullible as her.

"How old are you turning this year?", my dad asked her.

I mentally laughed in my head. All of his views and records were the only numbers stuck in his head.

"I am only three years younger than Hanna," she said while smiling. Her innocence is what my mom love most about her and I had none of that.

I protected her with my life just so she'd think she had the best father. But I experienced with my life, I met all the types of boys that I couldn't protect myself from.

After dinner, we had to stay a longer while for all the adults to talk. We were sent to Austin's room and I walked as slow as I possibly could. He was already in there with Camila and I don't know how I would handle it.

"Hey Austin, your mom force me and my sister to be in here." I said interrupting. I imagined for them to he sleeping together or all cuddled up. He was on the bed and she was across the room away from him.

The room stayed silent for the next hour except for the sound effects from Mario Kart that Judith was playing.

I then got a text from Sarah saying, "you're moving?"

I looked confused and before I could respond, another message popped up from a group chat.

It was from Austin, "I'm sorry I had to tell everyone."

I looked to him in bed and he was just smiling at me. Then I looked back to Camila and she was just on her phone as always.

I texted Austin, "why are you so mean to your girlfriend?"

He just shrugged at me and we went back to talking about me moving to New York.

"It's crazy that you're moving to New York and Austin is going back to Miami," Alex said in the group chat.

At this point, me and Austin were the ones laughing together. Camila seemed so unbothered and that made me feel very uncomfortable.

"Tell her to come, you can't be rude." I whispered to Austin.

"Baby, come over here." Austin semi yelled so she would hear.

She then rolled her eyes and said, "Austin, really?"

I got confused and I was sure she saw that printed on my face.

"Hanna, you do know that we are just doing this for a publicity stunt right?" Camila said as she continued to pick her nails.

I looked to Austin and started laughing. But he said nothing and everything on his face told me the answer already.

"What? You weren't going to tell me? Everyone was left in the dark and you left me in the dark too? Especially what you promised me before you came back."

He then whispered, "you told me to forget about the past."

I started to feel myself get angrier, "I thought you fell in love with another woman."

He then looked at me and said, "it's for the job, I'm sorry."

Suddenly, I can feel the selfish me coming back. The person that I tried to change from for Austin, she was coming back and I couldn't control it.

"Yeah, everything's for the job. You told me you were nothing like my dad but you turned out exactly like him." I replied and started crying. Before he could say anything else, my hand slapped him right across the face.

I could hear Camila gasp in the background but I can careless. She didn't love him anyways. I turned to open the door to leave the house immediately and found my dad standing right outside.

"Honey," he started.

"No, save it. I'm moving with you already so don't say anything else that will make me hate you more than I already do."