5

(Shelby) I study the list of traits as Shelby eats breakfast with dad

(Shelby)
I study the list of traits as Shelby eats breakfast with dad. Bella ate some vegetarian bacon before she left. Shelby washes the dishes against protests from both dad and myself, and we leave for school.

"Shelby, Athena; we need to talk." Riley says. "I'm moving. My parents and I are."

Shelby's gray eyes widen. "what!? Where?!"

"Seattle." Riley says, frowning. "I'm sorry Shelby,  but I can't do long distance relationship."

Riley walks away after he breaks up with Shelby way too easily. If Riley had really loved Shelby like he sakd, he would have cried or shed a single tear while breaking things off. Shelby is sobbing into my shoulder, broken.

Seeing something flying through the corner of my eye, my hand flies up and I catch the object. A baseball. Shelby pulls way and sees a baseball in my hand, and she finds Mike Newton staring at us with wide eyes. I don't think he meant for it to come this far. Shelby's eyes are widened by the fact I've completed the check list for traits, for reflexes. It's official. I'm a hybrid. Shelby quickly checks that off before Mike jogs over.

"So sorry for that," Mike says as I hand him his ball. "Marvin has crap aim."

"Believe me, Marvin has great aim." I reply with a sigh.

Shelby still looks sad about her break up and about the fact Riley is moving to Seattle with his parents. She pushes past it though, and she rugs me into the school as the rain begins pouring down. Riley is cleaning out his locker, without the slightest hint of sadness. If anything, the guy looks relieved to be leaving.

"Come on, Athena." Shelby says as she quickly looks away from Riley. "Let's get to class... He isn't even worth crying over."

That's Shelby, strong. Shelby is a strong and reliable friend. She is the one who truly took me when the others just kicked me out of their group, and Riley was thrilled I went to school here. Shelby was the one who helped me find out what I am. She has remained by my side, even knowing my biological parents are a vampire and a human.

.....
Shelby and I sit on the tailgate of my truck, five spots down from Bella's. Tomorrow happens to be the trip to the greenhouse. I'm going to talk to Jasper, about my species.... I know that Carlisle Cullen is the head of their coven, and he might be able to help me find my father and help me learn more about my own species.

The rain has finally let up, but the parking lot is darker. Wet from the rain, and slick from the black ice. Bella is searching through her backpack for something, and I take notice of Edward watching her intently. Jasper seems focused on me while Alice has a deep conversation with Cody. Cody had even become a pretty good friend to me.

Squealing tires cause my eyes to snap towards the school. Tyler Crowley's van is swerving around a curve, the black ice causing him to lose control. Before I can flash over to stop the can from crushing Bella, Edward does so. I gault to a stop by the trucks right as Edward's hand stops the can.

"I was going to do that!" I protest.

Edward eyes me before staring down at a startled Bella. Edward sigh before he runs away. Bella glares up at me before her friends help her stand. Shelby grabs my hand but I jerk my hand away.

"Go home, Shelby." I say. "you're strong most days. You're hurt because of Riley. Go, eat ice cream and be angry at him. I've got this."

"Be careful, black ice." Shelby winks in Bella's direction.

I get into my truck hurriedly, and I quickly start the bgi e over.
.. 

I park beside Rosalie's vehicle, and I walk inside. I see dad and Bella leaving the emergency part... I hear dad mention Renee, he called her. I mean, of course he did. Bella is her child. He also told Renee that I learned the truth.

I walk through the hospital corridor before I find Carlisle Cullen with Edward, Rosalie, and Emmett. Rosalie looks beyond annoyed. She is ranting about Edward exposing them, I'm listening in of course. Go ahead, call me nosey.

"Can I talk to you?" Bella's voice interrupts the conversation, and Edward's eyes snap towards her.

"Carlisle? I'm Athena Swan" I say when Edward walks toward Bella. "i-i need to talk to you... It's personal."

Carlisle looks at Rosalie and her mate, and nods. "Come by the house tomorrow, we can talk."

"Thanks you, doctor Cullen." I say.

"Since I have a feeling we are about to have a personal relationship of some sort, call me Carlisle." The angelic looking man says softly. "Rose, give her the address. Emmett, go on home, tell Esme to prepare for company. We will see you tomorrow, Athena."

Rosalie smiles as she hands me the yellow sticky note with an address scribbled on it. "Be careful, the roads are slick."

"Rose." Emmett warns. "Nice meeting ya, Athena. I see is becoming great friends.... Come on Rosalie, you can ride with me."

"See you at school tomorrow, Athena." Rosalie says hesitantly before leaving with Emmett.

I thank Carlisle once more before I go out to my truck.
... 

Bella is already in her room when I make it home. Dad is reclined in front of the ball game, a can of Bucshe beer in his right hand. This time in only his police academy sweat pants and socks.

"Dad, shave your chest." I joke.

Dad jumps up, dropping his beer- causing it to spill all over the place. He blushed hard before he sends me up to my room, and I obey. I change into some pajamas before I randomly flash around the room. Giggling, I collapse into bed.

"That was too fun," I say to myself before allowing my heavy eyes to close.

Sleep eventually takes over, leaving me confused by my species.