13

Several months later.

I put my silver earrings in before going downstairs. I find Jacob standing very close to Bella. I bite my lip to keep myself from saying anything, but then the phone rings loudly.

"Swan residence." Jacob says into the speaker, remaining kind of close to Bella. "He's not here right now..." Jacob pauses so Edward can reply. "He's arranging a funeral." Harry Clearwater died.

"Who was that?" Bella asks, but Jacob looks really annoyed. "What?"

Jacob growl as he steps back. "Always in the way."

"Who was that?" Bella asks again, nervously.

"Bella, step back." Jacob warns, he will phase if she comes any closer.

"Jacob, who was that?" Bella asks, growing impatient.

A gust of wind lets me know there is a vampire in the house. Alice looks frantic as she looks around.

"Bella. It's Edward." Alice days frantically after hugging me. "He thinks you're dead." Crap. "Rosalie told him why I came here."

"Why didn't you let me speak with him?!" Bella screams an an already angry Jacob. ..

"He didn't ask for you." Jacob replayed a tad harshly.

"Bella. Bella!" Alice screeches as she grabs Bella's shoulders. "He's going to the Volturi... He wants to die too."
--.
Alice drives an Italian sports car through the dense crowd of Volterra. Everyone is dressed in red cloaks, and all appear to be humans.

"Why are they all wearing red?" Bella asks, panicking.

"The St Marcus day festivals" Alice replies. They're celebrating the exinction of vampires in the city.... The Volturi will never let him get far enough to reveal himself."

"Five minutes!" Bella gasps, stupidly checking the time in the car radio.

"It's okay, Bella." Alice coos. "just breath."

"Alice!" Bella panics as Alice stops by the gate.

"Bella, you're the only one he can't see coming.' Alice demands. "He'll read my thoughts, think I'm lying, and speed up the process."

"Where do I go?" Bella asks as she hurriedly gets out of the car.

Alice says something about a tower building before Bella takes off running.
--.

"Gentlemen, there's a festival going on!" Alice chirps as we enter the Volturi castle.

Edward smiles at me, relieved I'm here. Felix nods his head towards me, remembering me from when we all learned Caius is my birth father. Felix is about to speak, but heels clicking on the stone floors silences him, and causes Demitri to tense. Jane. I remember her.

"Aro would like to see you." Jane speaks, not looking in my direction.

The group of vampires and Bella follow Jane down the hall, to an elevator. Jane is trying to ignore my presence, because of who my father is. I learned over the last several months, I have my father's temper.

The elevator dings, but the tension only rises as Jane leads us down another stone hallway. She stops in front of the doors leading to the throne room, and pushes them open before directing us inside. Caius notices me first hand, and he smiles a very little.

"What a happy surprise, Bella is alive after all!" Aro muses as be rises, and crosses the room. "Isn't it wonderful? I just love a happy ending." Aro pauses to take Edward's hand, winking in my direction. "They are so rare." Aro pauses for a moment to look at me then back to Edward. "The blood appeals to you so much.... It makes me thirsty." Aro pauses for a moment to glance at Bella. "How can you stand to be so close to her?"

"It isn't without difficulty." Edward admits, gripping onto the golden string of the robe.

"I can see that," Aro says~ clearly amused.

"Aro can read every thought I've ever hand with just one touch." Edward says to me and Bella before taking his hand back. "And now you know everything, so get it over with."

"Shut up, Edward." I seeth.

"It's alright, Athena." Aro assures me before directing his attention back to the stupid vampire. "You're quite the slow reader yourself, Edward. Though you cannot read Bella's thoughts."

Caius is focused on me, Athenadora is standing behind his chair. Marcus looks emotionless, as I remember him.

"Fascinating." Aro adds. "I want to see if she's an exception to my gift as well." Aro says as he walks towards Bella, and I stand close to her. "Would you do me the honor?"

Bella glances at me for reassurance, I nod my head and she lets Aro take her hand. He smiles at me as Jane stands tensely by Marcus's throne.

"Interesting." Aro mumbles. "I see nothing. Is she immune to all our powers." Aro muses. "Shall we, Jane?"

"Pain," Jane says with a smirk, gazing at Bella.

Nothing happens. Jane's crimson eyes grow with shock as Aro smiles. He takes my wrists and drags me to the thrones. Athenadora comes down and gives me a light squeeze. Edward is watching us intently.

"She knows too much," my father - Caius- says, talking about Bella. "She's a liability."

"That's true." Aro replies with furrowed eyebrows. "Felix."

Demitri grabs Alice before she can stop Felix, so I flash over and I throw him across the room. Demitri comes after me and I twist around, and allow my foot to connect with his body and I send him flying.

Felix hits me out of nowhere, I fly behind the thrones. Caius looks back at me quickly as I dust myself off. I flash over and I slam Felix down, my hand wrapped around his throat, my eyes burning white. The marble and stone floors crack underneath him.

"Okay easy, Athena." Caius speaks before I snatch my hand away from the guard vampire and he gasps. "Well, brothers, she has my temper."

Felix stands up and quickly dusts himself off, trying to pretend I didn't just show him my bad side. Felix eyes Caius before he hurries out of the room.

"I'll send her back in the morning." Caius tells Edward. "Promise."

Edward hesitates before he gets Bella and Alice out of Volterra, and back to Forks.

"That was one heck of a fight." Caius says. "it makes me no longer deny you..."

"Some.." I press.

"So, now I know you're my daughter." Caius says softly. "Now go and sleep, Athena. You have an early flight."