Support and confront

Chapter 26

Confront and support

“ Khushi! How dare you ? Have you forgotten that I am your mother!” Indrani said shocked by the slap which was laced on her left cheek.

Khushi was heaving red with anger. “ Step mother! Remember that Indrani Shashi Upadhyay! You are my stepmother! The person whom you are talking about with such disrespect is my father. The person whose life you have destroyed using my hands is my husband.  So I dare and I dare a lot! Commissioner sir! I request you to please come in. Reporters, I allow you to ask Mrs. Indrani any questions now.”

Indrani and Arnav were shocked at Khushi ‘s such reaction . Arnav came forward and greeted the commissioner. The press reporters ran towards Indrani and bombarded her with questions.

“Sir, Indrani ji has self admitted her involvement in the temple riots of 2002 as the main plotter as you just witnessed. I request you to clear all charges from the fair name of the kashyap family. They were holy and innocent victims to Indrani ji’s lust for power.”Khushi said with joined hands.

The commissioner nodded and asked his female constables to arrest Indrani.

“Stop! Stop, don’t touch me!” Indrani resisted. She then turned towards Khushi and spitted “Arre I did this all but you too were beneficiary, weren’t you? You became the heir to the temple property and you are getting me arrested! Khushi think properly, this man needs to be arrested * pointing towards arnav*  He attempted to kill you !” Indrani shouted accusingly.

" Is this true, Khushi ji?"

"Did Mr. Raizada really try to kill you?"

" What would you like to say to your Bairi Piya( enemy lover) ?"

" Did you attempt to bring forward this revelation so that you could directly inherit the temple treasures?"

Khushi made a fake frown while  Arnav frowned in real. Had Indrani showed Khushi something about the fire in the temple or...

“I don’t believe Mrs. Indrani! He is my real husband, while she is my step mother! Our relation is real, her fake proofs can't do anything to it. ”Khushi said nonchalantly. Arnav looked towards khushi at this. How was he supposed to tell her that he had actually done that? How was he supposed to break her undying trust for something she never did consciously?

“ He never did anything like what Indrani narrated. She got the camera positioned in such a way that my husband looks like a culpirt. Also, I am sure she has fabricated some 'proof' with the help of some photoshoppers. If you can see there are a lot of glitches in this video. I don't think this is real.

And even if he  actually had dome something that could be fatal to me, he can! I have given away my life to him as a personal choice  to cherish or to destroy. I would support him under any circumstance because there is a term called love between us which my step mother is miles away from.” Khushi stared at Indrani.

Arnav mentally nodded, there was an unsaid love between them open from her side always but it would be better if it would be closed once and for all as it was capable to arouse havoc.

“There is trust between us which nobody can ever do on a vicious snake like Indrani. She deserve only  isolation!” Khushi said in a calm mocking voice while she choked her tears.

Arnav mentally nodded on their trust. He always had a ray of hope  that Khushi was innocent. He knew even involuntarily he could never let her be hurt and she knew that more than him. Such was her trust on him.

Indrani grunted and growled like a wild cat while the constables dragged her out. The reporters rushed out to follow Indrani. Arnav made sure everyone had left and closed the doors. Khushi choked at her own tears and she fell on her knees.

As she saw the police had left, she started crying her heart aloud on the misery that had befallen her! The two people she trusted with her life... both were incapable to keep it!  Her mother… step mother played with her life and her best friend ... husband  played with her heart. Her only fault was that she trusted them. And look what they made her do!

Arnav went towards Khushi  controlling his tears to console her. He sat beside her and wiped the loud tears off her chubby cheeks and turned her face towards him. He couldn’t stop his chuckle when he noticed that her nose had gone red. He flicked her nose and joined their foreheads. Khhushi at once dipped her head to his chest and cried there, wetting his waistcoat.

Realizing their closeness, Khushi immediately pulled away and turned her face. Arnav stood up and offered his hand to help her get up. Khushi adjusted her saree and wiped her tears. She got up holding Arnav’s hand and faced him.

“I don’t know will you ever be able to forgive me but I know this that I can't force you to be with me anymore! I know you came here for revenge and I understand. It was your human nature to hate me.” She said with her head bent down.

“I don’t know if I hate you, Khushi.” Arnav kept his argument.

“You don’t even know if you love me Arnav or you wouldn’t have planned on leaving me without even informing me.”

Arnav looked towards her in shock.

“I had heard aman ji booking your single ticket to London and saw him bringing divorce papers. I  have signed them. Here.” she brought the papers out of a drawer.

Arnav looked at the papers guiltily.

Khushi saw his hesitation and said with a smile “ Don’t worry, I agree to this. Don't feel guilty! I was at fault and your revenge was correct at it’s place. “

Arnav was yet not satisfied with her answer.

“Spill it, Khushi. I think there is some other reason that you are okay with this divorce. I want to free you from this marriage because I don't want you to be in this facade of having a love life with me anymore.”

“I need freedom, Arnav I want to do something in life . Maa didn’t allow me that. I am getting a chance to do that. I have a chance to become something  and being with you shall only haunt me. I have been offered my dream job . Don’t feel guilty. I just want freedom from all bonds please!” she requested him.

Arnav took a pen from his shirt pocket and silently signed the papers. Khushi smiled at him and took the papers. She was about to leave when Arnav stopped her.

“ I wanted to tell you something... I have arranged for shashi uncle’s treatment in Mumbai. I know a great psychiatrist there. So …”

His talk was cut when she hugged him. “ Thank you! Even after what all you had to suffer because of my family you are doing this for my father!“

“Khushi, you too are my family. My best friend! Why don’t you come with me to London for some days? Nani and Maasi would love to have you.”

“No, Arnav. Next week, I have to report for my first day at Chicago branch of my office. And you know right...”

“Ya ya …your professionalism and stuff”Arnav chuckled.

“But I wanted a amall favour from you …* arnav nodded* a nice bear hug and can you please drop me at the airport at 10 am tomorrow.”

“Even my flight’s at ten! Of course I shall get you there. As for the hug, dumbo you are in my arms only right now!” He kissed her forehead.

They both laughed like old times while Khushi looked onto him with  yearning.