Indebted

5:Indebted

The smell of fresh masala tea filled the air. Today, not so surprisingly, Allahabad was awake since 4 am to witness the maha puja at the Sangam ghat. Arnav stood near a tea stall, looking smart in his white shirt and rugged dark blue jeans, waiting for Khushi.

He spotted her walking towards him with some ladies, one of whom he recognised as Indrani, the person with whom the story of his family’s ruin started. His blood boiled on seeing her, to the flames of the rage erupting in his eyes. But the flames immediately calmed on seeing Khushi, looking as serene as a river in her attire. She had worn a pretty white coloured shirt blouse and a light blue silk saree with silver embroidery on it. Her face looked as divine as ever, her darkly lined eyes, heavy eyelashes, a small red bindi on her forehead, silver jhumkas, mogra flowers around her waist length hair tied in a tight braid, her cute little nose ring,  pink lipgloss adorning her soft, lips...

"Wait,"Arnav revoked himself.  "Focus, don’t divert your attention. There is nothing new in her being beautiful, she has always been beautiful."

“Good morning, Mr. Raizada! Let me introduce you to Indrani Upadhyay, the Mahantani of the Shaivite temple of Allahabad, my mother. "

“I know,"Arnav said staring Indrani with bloodshot eyes.

"Huh? But how?” Khushi questioned, quite surprised that he knew about her mother.

“Mrs. Upadhyay, I must say your daughter has inherited your beauty quite well!”

Both Indrani and Khushi gave a soft smile on this statement. Shashi came in his wheelchair accompanied by his nurse. He suffered from some psychiatric disorder due to which he could become uncontrollable at any given time. So, Indrani decided to keep him bound to the wheelchair.

Khushi slightly bended towards him

“Papa, this is Mr. Raizada from London, my new client.”

Shashi didn’t respond and went away, Indrani following him. Khushi felt teary looking at her father's ignorance yet, she hid her tears and turned towards Arnav.

“Mr Raizada, it is time for the puja. Come near the riverside, you shall get a closer view to  the puja.”

Many pandits were chanting hymns by the riverside while Indrani and Shashi were pouring offerings like flowers and herbs into the river. Arnav and Khushi were standing on the balcony of one of the houses to witness the Puja.

“This puja has been performed since aeons by the people of Allahabad to show the purity and sanctity of the rivers  Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati. Well, Saraswati dried up centuries ago but it is a popular belief that the river still flows underground.

You would be surprised to know that there is a scientific reason behind this puja. These specific hymns create such sound frequencies that the microorganisms in the river are compelled to clean the river, the herbs help the dirt to gather together and sediment. Interesting, isn’t it?” Khushi beamed.

Arnav nodded. He remembered  how a decade ago he was the one  who had explained this all to Khushi.

Suddenly Indrani called out to Khushi for some help in the rituals.

“Excuse me, Mr Raizada, I will be back in a minute. Please wait here for me," Khushi said and turned to go but her foot clashed against something, causing her to loose her balance ultimately making her fall into the deep river. Arnav saw her falling while she screamed and everyone looked on shocked.

Indrani screamed," Someone save my daughter! She doesn’t know how to swim!”

Ira and Esha looked on scared. Arnav at once took a huge leap while Khushi struggled to float in the river. Arnav caught of hold of her waist and whispered into her ears, “Trust me”.
A scared Khushi placed her small hands on his shoulders for support. He slowly brought her to the river bank and carried her in his arms till they reached near Indrani. Khushi and Arnav were offered towels to dry themselves. Khushi silently looked in his eyes as if searching for something. Indrani came forward to thank Arnav.

“You have done a big favour on us by saving our child’s life. Thank you so much!”

“No, Mrs Upadhyay. It was my duty as a human to save another’s life.”

Arnav’s this sentence touched Khushi’s heart. Where do you find such people these days who selflessly try to do something for others? The respect she had for him increased ten folds.

Suddenly Aman, Arnav’s housekeeper cum servant, arrived.

“Sir! I hope you are fine, sir!
Sir, I wanted to inform you that the guesthouse where you had booked your stay had suddenly caught fire. Somebody in the ground floor left the gas stove on. Thank god most of your belongings have not yet arrived from the airport but where shall you stay now, sir?”

“ If you don’t mind, Mr. Raizada, you can stay in the Mahant Haveli,” offered Indrani.

“No, Mrs Upadhyay, that is too big a favour for me to accept. It is completely fine. There are many hotels around here. You are just inviting unnecessary trouble...”

“What trouble? You have saved my daughter’s life I am  obliged to you. Please, I insist.”

“Okay, as you say.”he smirked.