Chapter 27. Reading over

Failure. That was all that I could feel at the moment.
I was surrounded by a dragon kingdom that was not mine. My kingdom needed me and I was not there while a crazed woman was trying to take over the continent because she decided she needed to be, oh, so much better than me. Eventually, all things crazy get tiring.
I looked over and I saw Luciana glaring at me from across the welcoming circle. I was surrounded by dragons and I did not like it, even though they were being kind.
For some odd reason I preferred no welcoming and a bunch of guards swarming around me with pitch forks in their hands. If no one had already noticed I was a very complicated elf, at least, that is what my father used to tell me before the fire killed him.
The flames burning in the middle of the circle the dragons, including me, was burning a bright amber colored stone, it was weird actually. "What is that in the fire?" I asked.

We took it from some of the Firestorms, it's an amber crystal." The leader explained. "It burns forever, it will never burn out unless we blow on it, and then we can start it up again."

How many do you have?" I asked.

Only the one giant one but, we broke it into pieces for every one of us and now that's just how we live." He answered.

Interesting, is it ok if maybe I take a piece?" I asked.

Why?" The leader asked.

Yeah, why?" Luciana also asked.

Well, since I am an elf, we don't have things like this and, my daughter at home really likes these things and, I wanted to maybe bring her back something like this." I answered.

The leader looked around at the dragons around the fire and smiled at me. "Of course you can bring a piece home to your daughter, there's no problem with that."

Thank you, umm-"

You may call me Spinescale." He said.

Spinescale, what a, umm, peculiar name." I replied"

Yes, it is indeed a very peculiar name." He chuckled and I blushed in embarrassment.

There's no way you can like her this much!" Luciana snapped.

Calm yourself down would you." Hissed the leader.

I don't get it! It takes you years to warm up to me, and now you're making friends with every strange creature you meet!? Besides! She's an elf!" Luciana cried.

She's a kind elf." Spinescale replied.

I bet she's a forest elf too." Luciana hissed.

Actually." I said and Luciana glared at me even more.

You are the reason they're dead!!!" She roared and Spinescale pushed her backwards.