Chapter 10

As my Mare Catholina carried me down the dark roads of the forests, I held my torch high, as I followed the faint tracks that Magnus had left in the deep slippery mud

My queen!" Beluar cried. "We have spotted something in the bushes!"

Follow!" I ordered as I turned my Mare around to follow Beluar into the brush. "No part of this forest goes untouched! We need to find him!"

Tera, What will we do if we find him?" Amber asked.

You may address me as your majesty." I hissed. "And we may decide once we find him."

Of course your majesty, please except my apology."

Why should I?" I growled.

I should have told you sooner." She replied as she looked at the ground.

Well, it does not matter now." I replied.

May I just ask, am I still welcome in your kingdom?"

I ignored her question and looked around, listening intently.

What?" She asked. "Do you hear him?"

Shut up." I snapped. I listened to the sounds of the forests and sighed sadly. "No."

Amber looked at the ground as we slowly made our way through the thick brush. "Do you think that we should kill him? Or should we imprison him?"

I looked at her, her face plain and tired. I could not stay mad at her, she was only ever kind to me for the few days I had known her. "Imprisonment would work best, then he can rot out the rest of his days."

Amber smiled brightly. "Your majesty, I thank you for listening."

I looked at her, and grinned. "Well Of course, now, do not call me your majesty, you know my name."

Her face seemed to glow brighter as she looked up at me. "All forgiven?"

It would be a dishonour to my kingdom if I were not to take your forgiveness." I replied. I put my hand out, reaching for her. She looked at me happily, and grabbed my arm tightly as I pulled her up onto Catholina.

What do you think he will do when we catch him?" Amber asked.

Well, I hope that he will plead for mercy, but, I think that he will put up a fight, he did hire elves or to assassinate me earlier." I answered.

I do not think he will do anything." She replied.

I sighed as I heard rustling in the bushes. "Why? Do you think that he will just give up?"

He is my brother, I have known him ever since I was born, I know him like the back of my hand, and he is usually ready to surrender, when someone has already won fairly, but he will hold a grudge for quite while." She explained.

So, he would not fight?" I asked.

He might, who knows." She answered.

I sighed. "I wish this could have been easier, did anyone else get hurt earlier?"

Yes, but, thankfully, no one died." Amber answered.

Good."

Maybe you should return to the palace and get settle down for the evening, it is very late."

No, I need to see his capture." I answered.

Are you sure?" She asked.

Of course I am sure, very sure." I assured her.

I turned my head to look at her, noticing that she had looked at the ground as if she wanted to ask me something. "If you are exhausted, I give you permission to get some rest."

She looked at me happily. Her face gave away that she was relieved. "Thank you Tera, this means so much to me."

Of course, you need to regain your energy, so that when you wake up tomorrow it will already be time for the trial." I replied.

I do not sleep in that late." She hissed.

Of course not." I chuckled.

Everyone who is not the queen! Blow out your torches!" Beluar cried.

Suddenly everything around me went dark and all the light that was left, was from my torch.

Our queen will light our hopes again once we catch up!" He announced and all cheered.

We moved on quietly, while nothing at all happened, and we were already miles away, but there were still many more miles until the border. There were no clues, no sounds, no Magnus.
Suddenly I heard something in the bushes just a little bit ahead, and I heard the branches snapping. Immediately I was making my way through the forest quickly.
I squinted my eyes without blinking. I kept my concentration ahead of me where the snapping twigs were. "We are closing in on him!"
We chased him through the brush until a shriek made all of our blood run cold.
I looked over my shoulder and saw a horse lying on the ground, with a guard underneath him.

VIPER!!!" Beluar cried and the guards began moving around frantically.

Someone get him out of here!" I ordered and the wounded guard was immediately taken away. "Where is it!?"

We do not know." Beluar answered. "We assume it got away, but it might have been squished by the horse."

Is there a possibility that it could strike again?" I asked.

Yes." He answered calmly, though his eyes told me everything; he was anxious.

And it could be dead?"

Yes." He answered again.

I nodded slightly. "We shall move onwards then."
I looked around at the ground. Catholina was shifting around nervously, taking in all of the strange emotions in the air.
If that Viper was still directly where we all were, another elf was sure to get hurt. "Everyone stay calm, and slowly move away from this area." I directed and we all safely got away without another crisis on our hands...