With a Touch - Chapter 4

Well this was awkward.

Bea told her sticking to David like glue would lead to the thief. But with his cousin Jeff throwing them looks all day like he wanted to his something and his wife interrogating her life and sneering at her Felicite' was starting to feel like unsticking herself from him. It was either that or slap the snooty bitch in the face.

Who cared if she was on so many committees and foundations? Who cared what companies her daddy and her husband sat on as board members? Who cared if she won the town's beauty pageant two the times in a row and almost became Miss Virginia. Like the Brandy song went almost doesn't count.

The only good thing was that aside from those two everyone else went out of their way to get to know her and bring her into the fold. They were treating as if she was a family friend and were above cordial. And whenever Jeff's wife Olivia, who was once David's ex, tried to belittle her he jumped in her defense and singing her praises.

To say she was surprised that he knew so much about her was an understatement. He even knew she was allergic to shellfish. Just how well he knew her only made her remember the vision she saw of him jerking himself off in the shower and calling her name. She flushed hot at the memory and squirmed in her seat.

"You alright," he whispered against her ear. His smooth baritone voice and warm breath sent tingles straight down to her core. He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer. Felicite' shivered and hoped to god he couldn't smell her arousal.

"I'm fine," she lied.

Felicite' removed his hand around her hip under the table then picked up her fork to take a bite of her strawberry swirl cheesecake. And smiled around the utensil.

"Mmm, this is delicious Mrs. Johnson." Felicite' wrenched away from the hurt look on David's face and turned right towards his mother who sat at the other head of the table from her husband. "Where did you buy this?"

"Please dear," his mom waved her hand in the air beaming with pride, "call me Victorica. And I made them myself."

Felicite''s mouth dropped open. "No. This is so good. You should open a bakery."

"That's what I tell my wife all the time," added Mr. Johnson, followed by a hacking cough. He cleared his throat and looked lovingly at his wife. "But always she says she bakes for pleasure."

"And it's very true. Baking will become boring if I turned it into a business."

Mr. Johnson coughed again drawing her concern. She wondered how long he had it but she just met him and didn't want to be intrusive.

"Honey. That cough is not going away. You sure you don't want to have the doctor come over to check it out?"

"Definitely. The cough relief medicine is more than enough. It's just taking a while because those damn pharmaceutical companies wants to keep us sick longer."

"Oh you stubborn man. You're going to wait until it develops into pneumonia or worse-"

"Mom. Dad. Please." David stepped in as mediator. A role he fulfilled many times growing up. A natural talent that made him a good cop. "Can't we-"

"I'm sorry," interrupted Felicite'. "But if you don't mind trying a home remedy I know one that can help."

"Really?"

"Yes. Just boil a cup of warm milk with ginger if you have it. If not then five cloves of garlic. Then add honey."

"That's it?"

Felicite' nodded glad she could help. For some inane reason she wanted to help David keep his parents' argument from escalating. But from the amused glances of his older sister June and younger brother Chad that this was a common occurrence. She would've kept her mouth shut if it wasn't for the silly smile on David's face.