Triggers

ellise's     

I rolled my eyes as I wrapped my arms around his neck.  He leaned down pecking my lips softly before we heard pounding knocks at the door.

"You have three minutes to come out of there! We've had people waiting for ages!" someone screamed, I assumed was one of the managers or owners.

I laughed before tying my top, Diego struggling to find his clothes. 

"Can't believe you ripped my panties."

"Hey!" he smirked, "they needed to come off."

The next day.. 1:33 a.m.

I couldn't stop tossing and turning in my sleep, a familiar voice was bouncing off of the walls in a deep sorrowful tone. Maybe it was all in my head, I mean I barely got any sleep since we got back to mine and Kacey's apartment from the club.

"W-what... I-I c-can't b-bel—no..no I-I'm—,"

The voice kept repeating over and over again.  Okay this couldn't be just some dream.

I pulled at my covers, groaning in agony at the weight pushed down on it not allowing me to move it. Fluttering my eyes open, I could see the figure sitting at the end of my bed crouched over as if it was in pain.

"Diego?" I asked attempting to sit up, failing miserably—I was so tired, "come back to bed."

No reply.

Muffled cries and sobs could be heard.  It was obvious he was trying to control them; something wasn't right. 

I felt a knot grow at the pit of my stomach.  Removing the blankets from on top of me, I crawled towards the edge of the bed where Diego was with his face in the palm of his hands.

"Babe?" I asked reaching out for his arm, he rejected immediately pushing me away, "baby.. wh-what's wrong?"

His sobs became louder with ever second we sat in silence.  My arms were wrapped around his as I leaned my head against his shoulder, tears begging to be escaped from my eyelids for not knowing what's wrong.

He finally pulled away when his phone started to go off again.  I had no time to read the contact name before he picked up, refusing to look down at me.

"Dad?" he sniffed, "Y-yea—she's what?... no dad."

"No dad.. th-this can't be.. r-real."

I watched as he gulped, trying his hardest to block his tears.  Even through the darkness I could see his bloodshot eyes with tears pouring down his cheek.

Seeing him like this broke me completely, ripped me down to bones. 

"D-dad...," he choked, "I-I'm c-coming home."

After he hung up the phone, I felt him shift away from me.  Slowly, he stood to his feed looking down at the ground below him.

"Diego?.. Diego is something—," I started before he left the room, closing the door shut behind him.

Did I do something wrong?

I followed in his lead, walking out into the hallway where he was strolling towards the living room. 

Steven was asleep on the couch while Kacey was occupied in her bedroom.  They were still fighting.

Stepping closer towards the living room, I could finally make out his face from the light of the television.  He was an absolute wreck— his body trembling.

I watched as he attempted to wake Steven up, pushing on his shoulders before he fell down onto the hardwood floor.

"Fuck.. Diego," I heard him groan, "what the fuck man I was—,"

"We have to go," Diego cut him off, "N-now."

Steven's eyes became wide as he sat up to look at Diego's face more, "fuck man what happened to—,"

"Can we just go?" Diego cut him off wiping the tears off of his cheeks, "I-I'll leave with—without you."

I knew I couldn't let Diego leave just like that.. something is clearly wrong.  He won't speak to me.

I slowly crept up to the both of them, Steven now on his feet grabbing his stuff from off of the table.  Diego still stood alone, refusing to pack— something isn't right.

"Baby?" I questioned latching my fingers onto his hand, "d-do you need to sit."

"No," he replied without an emotion in his tone, "I don't."

A second later Steven came back, tugging him towards the kitchen where I wouldn't be able to hear them.  I watched the two converse, an unhealthy feeling started to form in my chest.

Diego looked over at me, hurt and broken as well as Steen did the same.  I couldn't control my tears that were now streaming down my cheeks.  My baby was hurting and won't speak to me. 

The sound of a door slam caught my attention.  Steven was the only one left in the room, and now he was coming my way.  I was frightened to what he had to say.

"Ellise we have to go," he said as his voice croaked, "D-Diego and I w-will s-see you soon, okay?"

I nodded my head as I chewed on my bottom lip attempting to hold in my tears.  Yes, I wanted Diego to go back to LA where he lives, but not like this.  Not without a word.

"Thanks f-for letting us c-crash here."

"Is Diego mad at me?" I asked before he had the chance to say anything else, "h-he won't talk to me.. at all."

He stood still, silent for a minute.  His eyes seemed heavy as I watched him about to explode from sadness.

"He uh..," Steven started looking down at the ground, "an emergency happened a-at home."

"I-is everything alright?!" I asked grabbing onto his elbow.

"I would h-hope."

"Steven what h—happened.. I wake up to him crying o-on the phone and I-I don't know what to make o-of i-it and now h-he's ignoring m-me and—,"

"His mother died."

Silence filled the room as I looked up to meet his eyes.  A wave of heaviness crashing down on top of me.  My throat hitched.

"W-what—,"

"He uh..," he sniffled, "he g-got the call not long ago..he d-doesn't have l-long to say goodbye..."

"There's no h—,"

Before I was able to finish my sentence, Diego entered the room again with his fists knotted up in his hair, "she's fucking dead... we got to go."

———-
not edited !