35 ↴ IRL

"So, do you believe in love at first sight, Tom?"

Briar rolled her eyes at the question, hating the talk show more and more with every minute that passed. She had already blacklisted the show from any future interviews, and would be passing her decision onto her fellow assistant and actor friends. She didn't appreciate how pushy the two hosts were. Tom had been doing an amazing job at linking his answers to the movie where he could, but it was questions like these that left him no options.

Tom was silent for a few moments as he thought of a response. There had been several times where his eyes had drifted off screen, finding Briar amongst the crowd and she had always been wearing a soft smile. When Tom looked at her again, she nodded at him encouragingly.

"In a way, yes and no." Tom began, pausing to gain the attention of the two hosts next to him. "I definitely believe that love is something formed over time, after you get to know someone and all of the little things that make them who they are. But, on the other hand, I don't think you could commit to learning so much about a person unless there was something there from the very beginning."

The female host nodded, her eyes wide. "That was well said, Tom. I love your thinking. Continuing on with that, how do you know if you should commit to someone like that after you've just met them? How do you tell if the woman in front of you is worth your time?"

Tom wrinkled his nose minutely at the question, finding so many things wrong with it, but he kept going. Briar was the only thing keeping him calm, but at the moment she was far from calm. "Well, when I meet someone, I trust my instincts. I notice the way I feel around them. I usually remember the little things. Also, I don't categorise people by if their worth my time or not; I'm happy to give everyone my time as long as they treat me with respect."

Briar surged with pride at Tom's response and she grinned widely. Tom's eyes locked with her and she nodded, silently cheering him on. Tom relaxed when he saw Briar's reaction to his words.

Thankfully, the show ended soon after and Tom was able to leave rather quickly. Of course, several of the crew wanted photos and Tom was more than happy to oblige. After that, Tom yanked off his microphone and wiped the makeup off of his face before he and Briar made a beeline for the exit. It wasn't until they were safely driving away from the studio did Tom begin laughing. Briar watched him in confusion.

"Oh god, that was so bad." Tom couldn't help but laugh.

"Sorry, it's my fault."

Tom looked at her pointedly. "How many times have I told you to stop apologising?"

Briar shrugged, feeling like she could tell Tom the truth. "I'm worried that one day I'll do something and an apology won't be enough."

"It's happened before," Briar wanted to continue, but she kept her mouth shut.

Tom's brows furrowed at her reply and he watched her closely for a few moments. She was looking out of the window, her eyes glued to the city passing by. "What do you mean?"

Briar shook herself. "Nothing, I'm just rambling. Are you hungry?"

"Oh, yes." Tom answered eagerly. He hadn't eaten breakfast — silly move on his half — and he wouldn't be surprised if the audience watching the show had heard it rumbling.

"We still have a few hours before you're needed back on set... would you like to get lunch? I kind of owe you a lunch." Briar joked.

Tom's stomach twisted itself into a knot. Briar's words made him giddy. He nodded maybe a little too enthusiastically. "Yes, where do you want to go?"

"I have an idea."

( in case Tom's response didn't clear things up... he is pansexual in this book. )