17 ↴ IRL

"How was lunch?"

Tom looked up from his phone, startled by the sudden voice. He instantly relaxed when he spotted Briar, standing nearby with an armful of documents. Tucking his phone away, Tom smiled. "It was great, that Italian place was really good."

Briar nodded for a moment, suddenly looking thoughtful. She was thinking about what Olivia had said, but shook the thought from her mind. It was nonsense, and she had been too busy anyway. Tom watched the woman before him have some sort of mental battle, and couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking about. Slowly, she said, "You didn't eat alone... did you?"

"No," Tom lied lamely, but Briar saw straight through it.

"I'm so sorry." She breathed out, her eyes wide. "I thought—"

"It's all good," Tom laughed with a wave of his hand. He saw the way Briar visibly relaxed; she hadn't made such a silly mistake in... well, ever. Her mind automatically conjured the worst scenario possible — one where Tom fired her. The stress was painted all over her face and Tom was quick to speak. "I know you're busy most of the time. It was nice, actually. Quite peaceful."

"It was incredibly rude of me." Briar shook her head, her shoulder length hair bouncing with the movement. "I'm so sorry."

"Briar," Tom laughed once again, amused at how stressed she was. He hadn't minded at all. "Stop apologising."

"Okay." Briar said quietly as she sat down next to him, shifting the documents in her arms and plucking a stapled booklet from the pile. She handed it to Tom. "Here are the interviews, as well as the photo shoot, that you have over the next week or so. I printed out some information about each one so you know what you're heading into. They're all individual interviews, but you'll be fine."

"Will you be there?"

"No, Tom. I work behind the scenes. I haven't done an interview in..." Briar paused, pushing out her lips as she thought. "A year or so, I believe. I used to do a few every now and then, but they're distracting and not apart of my job."

Tom's features fell. "Oh, okay."

"Well," Briar stood up, catching the small furrow between Tom's brows. She was already reaching for her work phone as it buzzed with emails from various companies, all wanting a bit with Tom Holland. "I have to go now, but if there is anything you need—"

"—I can count on you." Tom finished with a half smile. Briar nodded before she turned and walked off, answering an incoming phone call.