34 ↴ IRL

Tom spotted Briar as soon as the car pulled around the corner. He hadn't intentionally been looking for her, but it was as though his eyes were drawn to her, like magnets. She was standing a little way back from the curb, looking professional as always with her glasses on her nose and a bag across her shoulder that held all of the documents she may need whilst Tom was doing the talk show.

The car pulled to a stop next to the woman and Tom rolled down the window, flashing her a charming smile. He was dressed in a nice button up shirt and jeans, and Briar noticed that he had gelled his curls back. He looked good, Briar thought as Tom shuffled over so she could slide in.

She smiled at him brightly, tucking some hair behind her ear as the car pulled away from the curb. "Ready?"

"Yeah, lets do this."

ϟ

People bustled around Tom like ants, fiddling with his collar and adding final touches of makeup here and there. He was smiling politely but Briar could tell he was uncomfortable with how often a young woman had flattened his collar, her eyes scanning his face perhaps too openly. Briar watched her closely with slightly narrowed eyes, willing her to leave.

When the woman returned for a fourth time, Briar finally stepped in. "I've got it from here." She said, her eyes demanding that the woman challenge her. With a long look, the dreaded woman was gone once again.

Tom let out a low whistle. "Thanks. She was definitely... touchy."

"She was only the start." Briar said, doing a quick once over of the man in front of her. Tom had refused an outfit change, saying he was quite comfortable in what he had on, and so the main point of focus had been his face. The lights on set of the talk show were harsh, and most of the effort had been placed into making sure Tom didn't appear shiny on camera.

Tom pursed his lips and Briar shook her head. "I should have said no to this, you're clearly uncomfortable."

"I'm fine," Tom interjected quickly. "I'm just glad you're here."

Briar ducked her head. "Spoiler Support, remember?"

Tom laughed, his shoulders moving, and Briar watched him with a soft smile on her lips. Just then, the same woman from before approached them with Tom's microphone in her hand. Briar took it from her wordlessly and dismissed her with a nod. Turning back to Tom, she took a small step closer so she could tuck the microphone into Tom's shirt where it would still work, but wouldn't be seen.

Tom's breath fanned Briar's face as she focused on hiding the microphone, and her fingers brushed against the material of his shirt, smoothing the material out a final time. Tony's words were loud in Tom's mind as he watched Briar work, and his heart began to race. He couldn't have feelings for his assistant... it wasn't possible. They were only friends.

"All done." Briar's voice was but a whisper as she stepped back, holding out the microphone's battery pack in her hand. Tom took it from her hand and shoved it into his back pocket.

"How do I look?" Tom asked cheekily, doing a quick spin. "Camera ready?"

Briar smirked. "I would've picked a different shirt, but that's just me."

Tom looked momentarily offended until Briar giggled and he realised she was joking. The soft giggle that had escaped her lips soothed the nerves in his stomach. He had done interview's before, but they had all been pre-recorded. This show was live... giving him no chance to mess up.

"You'll do amazing, Tom." Briar said softly in encouragement upon seeing the worry passing across his features. She patted his chest a few times. "Just look for me if you get nervous, yeah?"

"Yeah." Tom breathed, hating the way he loved the feel of Briar's hand on his chest.

"Mister Holland, we're ready for you."

Both heads turned to spot a woman some feet away, a pair of thick headphones around her neck. She looked impatient. Tom nodded, looking to Briar. "See you on the other side."