20 ↴ IRL

Briar approached Tom's trailer, a bag of food in either hand. She had been hesitant to come, as she really needed to get Tom's cars organised, but the idea of eating for the first time that day was quickly overpowering her will and the smell wasn't helping. She had had to refrain from eating her share in the car.

Her stomach grumbled softly as she arrived, shifting both bags to one arm before knocking on the door. Only seconds had passed before the door was pulled open, Tom grinning widely and wearing a dark hoody over the top of his Spider-Man outfit. There had been a small part of him that had thought Briar might actually not show up, but he was glad she had.

Tom gestured for Briar to enter and the woman did so, the smell of food making Tom's mouth water. He was starving; he had started cleaning his trailer frantically after realising that he had invited Briar over, and it had made him ravenous.

Briar placed the food on the table and glanced at him expectantly. Tom was still standing by the door, his hands tucked awkwardly into his pockets. "You might want to eat before I beat you to it." Briar said softly as she took a seat, her eyes eager as she dug into one of the bags.

Tom started forward, a smile on his face as he sat down across from Briar. She looked like an eager child as she pulled out her burger. "I bet you're glad you listened to me, yeah?"

Briar took a bite of her burger and nodded slowly, a blissful expression covering her features. Swallowing, she replied, "Thank you, by the way. I know I get a bit caught up in my work sometimes, but I needed this."

"I thought for a moment you were going to make me eat lunch alone again." Tom grinned cheekily in response, feeling like he was getting somewhere in terms of their friendship. He was rewarded when Briar's eyes widened and she almost choked on her food, a bright blush spreading across her cheeks.

She ducked her head. "You're never going to let me live that down, are you?"

"Nope."

For a while, the only sound in the trailer was the sound of crinkling paper as the pair steadily ate their food. When they were finished, and Briar was fiddling with a napkin absentmindedly, Tom spoke up.

"So, you're accent... Australian, right?"

An unreadable expression passed over Briar's face as she nodded, pushing the napkin aside. "Yeah. Brisbane born and raised."

"What's Australia like?" Tom asked, honestly wanting to know. He shuffled his chair closer to Briar's.

Briar pursed her lips and shrugged. "It's very different to America, that's for sure. I haven't been back in years."

"What about your family? Don't you miss them?"

"Yeah, I do." Briar responded quietly, her eyes meeting Tom's briefly. Thankfully, he didn't notice the sorrow deep within them. However, before anyone could talk, there was a loud knocking at Tom's door. A small part of Briar relaxed.

"You're needed back on set!"

Tom sighed, wishing his break hadn't ended right then and there. Briar hid her emotions well as she stood up, cleaning up the rubbish from their food.

"I need to get back to work, anyway." Briar offered, shooting a smile at Tom as she put the rubbish in the bin. Tom was peeling off his hoody as she neared the door. Briar paused, Tom noticing, and she threw a final glance at him. "Thank you, Tom, for the lunch. Really."

Tom smiled. "No problem."