43. A Promise

Magsimula sa umpisa

I glanced at Leane sleeping form, wondering how she worked her way around the loneliness and the knowledge that her world was no longer hers.

'Magic always comes with a price, ion nin,' I remembered my adar once said.

I was beyond grateful that the Valar brought her to me, but too often I was being ignorant. I was blessed with her presence, yet she paid a costly price for it.

I closed the book and placed it back on the table. I kissed her hair softly and brushed her dark hair absently. By the looks of it, she would wake up sore tomorrow if I let her sleep in this position. So I decided to gently lift her up to place her on the bed. 

She stirred as I put her down. Once she was settled, I went to disarm myself and put my bow and quiver carefully on the table beside the bed. I removed my cloak, arm brace and boots before climbing up the bed next to her.

I glanced at Leane, my mind wandered off by itself. My thoughts was pulled into a halt when she stirred again. I raised my brow with amusement as I heard her mumble, her hands searched around her and found my waist. I felt my stomach fluttered as she leaned her head on my chest, and I couldn't contain the smile that threatened to rip my face in two.

Her delicate form radiated warmth, the faint smell of roses filling my nostrils. Having her around never failed to make me feel content and safe. I felt my body relaxed around her.

I guess being forced to sneak into her room every night was not a bad idea.

I smiled again at the thought. I couldn't wait to see her wake up tomorrow morning and see her reaction at what I had in mind for her.

My stomach churned nervously and I focused myself on the steady breathing of the woman in my arms, willing her presence to calm me once again.

***

[LEANE POV]

The sunlight seeped through the blinds and entered my eyes pleasantly. 

No, it wasn't the sunlight that pleased me. Waking up in Legolas' arms and being surrounded by his warmth was the best thing a girl could ever ask for. I looked up at him, finding him staring ahead.

"Good morning, Legolas," I chirped softly with a lazy smile.

Oddly Legolas didn't respond right away. His eyes were focused on something up on the wall on the opposite of our bed.

"Pretty boy," I sang softly.

He didn't budge. He kept on focusing at the wall as of finding something on it. In fact, he wasn't focused on anything at all. His icy blue eyes were glazed and seemed empty. It looks...

Dead.

Fear and horror crept up my spine. Tears suddenly threaten to well up in my eyes as I jumped at the realization.

"Legolas!"

In a blink of an eye, Legolas was already sitting up, his hands flew on the weapon on the nightstand beside him. With an unnatural speed, an arrow was already nocked on his bow, preparing to shoot to kill. His eyes glanced at me warily before  scanning the room, searching for a target.

My mouth hung open at his sudden movement.

Finding no hostile around the premises, Legolas stared back at me, but not even once lowering his guard down.

"Leane! What's wrong?" he demanded, glancing at me sideways.

At other circumstances, with his eyes piercing in his hunting state, smoldering and ready to kill, I would've thought that he looked so hot– smoldering. But given my shock, it took me a while before finding my voice again.