28. A Purpose To Fulfill

Start from the beginning

His eyes softened at my words, gratefulness and love evident in them as he leaned in to kiss me again softly for one last time. We reluctantly pulled away from the kiss and gazed at each other.

"Go now. You must be within the safety of the cave before the war begins," he told me. "Promise me you will stay safe."

"I'm usually very unlucky about being safe," I mumbled sassily, though deep down it was true. Legolas sent me that boyish grin at me.

"Do not be sassy with me, mortal. Promise me you'll be safe."

"No promises," I shrugged and Legolas gave me a pointed look. "But I can promise to go to the cave now."

Legolas seemed to be comforted by this, nodding at me. He flicked my nose lightly, causing me to giggle. He smiled fondly.

"Novaer, pen vain (be good, beautiful one)," he said in farewell before we went out of our hiding place.

I met Aragorn and Gimli as well and wished them luck. When Gimli announced that it was time for me to enter the cave, Legolas took my both hands and kissed each of my knuckles as he looked up at me. A blush crept up my neck as I saw the look the men around me gave us, both from my companions and the men of Rohan. Legolas smirked at my rosy cheeks.

"Gi melin, pen vain (I love you, beautiful one)," he said with a wink and I chuckled.

"Gi melin, aur nin (I love you, my sunshine)," I replied chuckling before his hands slipped away from mine and I turned to leave.

It didn't escape my eyes that Aragorn’s eyes were widened and his lips parted slightly at the words that I and Legolas exchanged. I forgot that he could understand Sindarin. I supposed the ranger was a bit surprised that we openly showed our affection to one another.

But the look on Gimli's face though– it was comically priceless, making me smile as I made my way to the cave.

***

I went into the cave with Eowyn who looked positively pissed. I knew she longed to be in the battle and fight like the men instead of being caved in with the rest of the women and children. If only this woman were born in my world, she would make a powerful feminist symbol in our time. I smiled at the thought.

I slipped back out from the cave just as Eowyn was distracted, pulling my hood up as I slipped beneath a couple guards. In my mind, the image of Legolas telling me to be safe played all over again. In my defense, I did fulfill my promise to go into the cave... I just didn't tell him that it would be a brief visit.

After all, I didn't promise him to be safe.

The city was deserted. I went back to my room and changed my attire and get armed. My hair was pulled into a messy bun on the back of my head and I pulled my hood up, nodding in approval as I looked into the mirror. The armor, sword, daggers, bow and quiver, plus the hood of my Lothlorien cloak concealed me well. You would think of me as a rather short man armed for war.

I successfully arrived at my planned hide out spot behind a thick bushes within the wall of Helm's Deep, close to the spot where my vision took place. My plan was to wait here in the corner, where the orcs would pass but unlikely come to since they will be too occupied by war. I prayed silently that the Lothlorien cloak will once again aid me by shielding me from the enemies' eyes as I wait for the perfect timing to come out. 

Night fell and the stars twinkled in the clear night sky as the crescent moon bathed the walls in its pale glow. My heart raced in anticipation as I watched the war unraveled before my eyes. Adrenaline rushed through my veins and I paid better attention to everything around me.