26. The Weight Of Fate

Start from the beginning

I would see Aragorn again soon, and I held on to that hope. I pulled up my hood and stood again at the gate as the sun went down and the day grew darker.

Night fell as the people of Rohan went to the sleeping quarters for the refugees. I grew weary so I opted to sit on the cold hard ground and leaned in to the stone wall, my eyes on the entrance of the stone walled city. I knew that what I was doing was absurd, waiting for hours here by the gate for a man that most probably be dead. But my mind wouldn't find rest if I didn't do this. 

The gate keeper eyed me several times with worry. One time he came to me to ask if I was alright, and I nodded, telling him that I was just waiting for someone. He left.

A couple hours later, he came back to me and spoke softly, urging me to go to the my sleeping quarters, but I refused.

"My lady, if I may, I think whoever you're waiting for, I do not think he or she is going to come at this hour. You should go and rest."

"I will wait some more. I will go back to my sleeping quarter when I grow tired. Thank you for your concern," I replied with a small smile.

At my resolve, the watchman nodded and left me alone for the rest of the night.

I clutched my cloak tighter around me as the wind blew and chilled me to the bone. I didn't know how long I had dozed off, but warm hands on my shoulders woke me up.

I opened my eyes to see Legolas staring at me with that sad and pained expression again. My eyes flickered to the gate and back at him. His eyes following me closely.

"Don't do this to yourself," he begged as he put a hand on my face and kissed my temple, "Come with me, melleth nin. You need rest."

I glanced at the gate before letting him pull me up and walked me to my room. He led me to the bed and helped me out of my cloak and gestured for me to sit down. Ever the caring, gentlest person that he was, he even knelt down and took my boots off for me and put it aside. 

His caring heart warmed my cold one. It was so endearing to know that someone could care so much for me. I wanted to say something, anything, but I had no idea of what I should say to him. That shadow that lurked in my mind seemed to be following me everywhere like a persistent dark clouds over my head, numbing me.

Legolas kissed my temple and said, "Goodnight, my love. Promise me that you will rest. Put my heart at ease by doing so."

I nodded and he gave me a small smile. He turned to leave but I called out to him.

"Legolas," I called and he turned to me.

"Yes, Leane?"

"Stay," I asked him mindlessly, not wanting to be left alone in this foreign place.

Legolas seemed taken aback by my request. He looked at me intently. I was expecting that he would reject my request, seeing that it wouldn't be appropriate for him to do so, but to my surprise he nodded and put away his sword, bow and quiver on the nightstand beside my bed. I scooted over to give him some space as he climbed to the bed.

He sat tensely beside me and I immediately regretted ever asking him to stay. I had made him uncomfortable.

"Thank you for staying with me, Legolas. You're being here is a comfort to me," I said. "I just... don't feel like being alone in this place," I admitted, and he visibly relaxed at my words.

"It's a comfort to me as well, having you near me," he replied with a smile as he pulled the blanket over me. 

"Goodnight, Legolas."