26. The Weight Of Fate

Start from the beginning

I shamelessly embraced him there in the crowd, his scent of fresh cut grass and leather filled my nose. Relief eased my mind. I pulled away and gasped softly when I saw his eyes. Grief and tiredness etched across his face. Grief for a certain ranger– his best friend.

True to the story, Aragorn did fall over the cliff, leaving everyone except me to think that he was dead. I knew Legolas grieved deeply with loss. The thought of losing him must hurt him deeply. I cupped his crestfallen face in my hands and whispered to him.

"Goheno nin, Legolas. Know that this too, shall pass," I said as I toughen myself for him.

He pulled me to him again for comfort and I hugged him tightly. I pulled away when I saw Gimli. I ran to the dwarf, bent over and hugged him as well, relieved that he too, was fine.

"Aragorn..." Gimli said in a grief stricken voice, the kind of vulnerability that I hadn't seen from the dwarf since Moria, "He–," 

"Don't. Don't say it," my eyes stung and a single tear escaped my eye, and I wiped it away quickly. My heart constricted at the thought of Aragorn dying and I felt shadow looming over me. 

Gimli squeezed my hand in comfort and I forced a smile for his sake. Legolas put a hand on my shoulder as we stood in silence.

Legolas and Gimli was still struck with grief when their presence were requested by the king. If it was up to me I'd have them rest, but time was of the essence. I let them go. Legolas reluctantly left me near the gate of Helm's Deep.

I pulled up my hood, as it gave me a sense of safety when I stood here alone in the midst of strangers that I did not know of. I stood for hours by the gate, waiting for impossible. Aragorn had to come back. I had to see him come back alive. A tear fell on my cheek as fear of him not coming back as he was supposed to be came uninvited.

Legolas came back to me hours later, in the late afternoon.

"Melleth nin," he called softly as he squeezed my shoulder. I wiped my tear briskly and turned to him, plastering a small smile on my face. He saw through my facade and brushed my cheek lightly with his finger.

"Have you been standing here since the last time I left you? You should be resting, my love. Have you even eaten anything today?" he asked, a pained look passed his expression, "Do not punish yourself for Aragorn's passing. 'Tis not your fault, Leane."

I shook my head at him. He didn't understand. I opened my mouth to tell him that I was only waiting for Aragorn's return, but a foreboding feeling filled me and prevented me from giving him the information. I closed my mouth and rephrased.

"I don't blame myself." 

"Nay. I saw guilt in your eyes. Please, melleth, come with me and eat something. You are in need of nourishment," he pleaded.

I sighed and followed him to the dining hall. I wasn't hungry and I absent mindedly played with the food on my plate, thinking about Aragorn, praying that he was on his way here.

Legolas touched my hand and stopped my hand from poking the food on my plate. I looked up to see his face. Worry and sadness filled his icy blue eyes and my eyes stung at the sight, but I held it back. I wanted so badly to see him smile again. 

I forced a smile and ate silently to give him a peace of mind. The food felt as if it was tasteless to my tongue, as if Eowyn's stew was much better than this. I braved myself and swallowed the food in my mouth as I felt Legolas' eyes on me. 

Soon Legolas and Gimli' presence were requested by the king, so I let him go after he escorted me to my room. I grew restless and paced in my room before giving up and decided to walk to the gate.