Chapter 45- A Great Freaking Team

"Where were you?" Viktor asked me as soon as I opened the door to my dorm room.

"I was in class. This is college, and I'm actually here to learn a thing or two," I said.

"Before that?"

"I was with Caroline and Drew."

"Before that?"

"I was with Diego."

"Before that?"

"Jesus fucking Christ, dude. I was with you before that." I ran my hand through my hair. "Is there an issue here?"

Viktor's eyes softened. "You just weren't there when I woke up this morning, and neither was Diego. I was a little scared for you, that's all. You didn't answer when I called you, either."

"Am I not allowed to do anything without you?" I asked.

"That's not what I said. I woke up, and you weren't there. I was worried. Is that a bad thing?"

"Why the hell are you even in here?" I asked, gesturing vaguely around my room.

"Jackie let me in earlier. She was concerned too, because she hadn't heard anything from you either. You're doing that thing again, aren't you?"

"What thing?"

"That thing when you just don't tell anyone what you're doing."

I scoffed. "No."

It pissed me off that he knew me so well. He didn't even have to try to figure me out, because it just came naturally.

I took a deep breath, then rephrased my statement. "Okay, I'm doing something, but I promise it's nothing sketchy. I'm just trying to figure out what's happening with Caroline and the Jardetzky twins. That's all."

"It's not your business, Amanda. Just let it go," Viktor replied.

"It's kind of my business. If they got caught, it reflects badly on Winterview, which in turn reflects badly on you. You already have the injury, and I'm not sure we can recover from another thing that goes wrong."

Viktor thought for a second. "You can't control any of that, though."

"That's true, but I'd like to get started on some damage control if you need it," I said.

He took my hand, then pulled me closer to him. "There's nothing we can do anymore. It's out of our control. Just let this play out and try not to worry about it."

I forced a smile and shook my head, and my stomach quickly got all pissed off again. "I'd rather worry about this than what I'm going to tell Blaine."

"You don't owe him anything, Amanda. You've moved on, and there's nothing wrong with that."

"But he never did anything wrong, and that's what's bothering me. He was nothing but good to me, and I'm afraid that—"

Viktor cut me off. "You shouldn't let this stress you out."

"Holy fucking shit, I'm cured. A fucking miracle. You very well may be the second coming of Christ," I said.

He frowned. "You don't have to tell him anything. He broke up with you, and he has to deal with the consequences of it. It's not your fault."

"Right, it's not my fault that the second he and I went our separate ways that I fell hard for you. It kills me that I did that to him." My voice shook as I spoke, and I took in a sharp breath, trying to keep myself composed.