Chapter 40- The Feather, Part 1

As much as I didn't want to keep my word, I headed down to the Sigma Kappa house in the dark cold, and I was not particularly happy about it.

I didn't even make it to the front porch before Caroline opened up the door and waved me inside. Drew stood behind her, tall enough to peer over Caroline's shoulder, then smiled at me.

I still couldn't believe just how beautiful Drew was.

How?

"Watch out, the steps are slippery," Drew said just before I walked up them. Her voice was loud, making sure I could hear over the bullshit Minnesota winter wind.

"Didn't think you'd actually come. Thanks," Caroline said.

I shrugged. "If I was smart, I certainly wouldn't be here, but fortunately for you, I'm as stupid as they come."

"I'm sure that's not true," Drew said.

"You ready, babe?" Caroline said, taking a hold of Drew's hand.

Drew sighed. "No, but you need me, and I guess it's time to take a step forward."

"I hate to sound nosy, but what's up?" I gestured at the two of them as I took off my coat.

Caroline brushed her straight, shiny hair with the fingers of the hand that wasn't holding Drew's, then took a deep breath. "People do shitty things in shitty situations."

"The shitty people do, at least," I said.

"Yeah, if only it were that simple," Caroline mumbled, then spoke up. "You ever piss someone off for the sake of someone you love?"

"Uh, sure," I replied.

I almost got myself killed for it once upon a time, but she didn't need to know that story.

"For who?" Caroline asked. "A guy? A best friend?"

"A little bit of both," I said, not sure where she was going with this.

"I don't want to do this where it's loud. Can we go somewhere quieter?" Drew asked.

And that's when I noticed the hearing aid in her ear.

Note to self: Make more gestures to make it a little easier on Drew.

Note to self, part 2: Would you start paying attention to details?

Caroline, still holding Drew's hand, lead us to that theater room where she first showed me that video of Dr. Mann.

I wished I never trusted her.

The three of us sat down in a row of seats, and Caroline brought her knees up to her chest.

"I know you said you met each other briefly, but Amanda, this is Drew, my best friend, and Drew, this is Amanda, the girl who's getting you the justice you deserve," Caroline said.

I had convinced myself that Caroline was bullshitting me when she said that Dr. Mann fucked over people she cared about, and the thought that she was talking about Drew made my stomach hurt.

"You probably hate me now, but I just want to thank you anyway," Drew said to me.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Caroline turned to Drew. "You want me to handle it? I'll tell the story if you don't want to."

This caring side of Caroline was unnerving to say the least. She had been a coldblooded bitch in my head, and any data that didn't support that made me uncomfortable.

Drew shook her head. "Let me. I shouldn't be such a baby about it." She turned to me. "I had sociology with Dr. Mann not last semester, but the one before that. I had already joined Sig Kap at that point, and although I knew Caroline, I didn't really know her, if that makes sense."