Chapter 23- In Exchange

I sat down in my chair in Dr. Mann's office before he even invited me to sit. I was going to fix our situation one way or another, because truth be told, I couldn't help but feel that I had somehow disappointed Viktor, even though he never said it.

He looked across the desk at me. "Yes?"

"I'm going to be straight-up and get to the point. Both of us want something. I want to pass this class, you want to keep your job. I don't think we should make it difficult on ourselves. We both have enough going on already," I said.

"Okay, and?"

I rolled my eyes. "And I'm trying to say that we should help each other out, rather than tearing each other down. You're in a tough spot with your wife, and I understand that. I'd like to think that it's the grief talking when you're lashing out on me, because I'm the same way."

"Oh?"

"Look, my mother passed away right before the semester started. I'm doing my best, but she was the only reason I'm partially sane. But I think that's what caused the original rift between us. Emotions are hard to control when you're dealing with what we have been."

Dr. Mann smiled. "You weren't joking when you said you were going to get to the point."

"I like efficiency. It keeps life moving when both of us wish it'd stop for just a moment, so we can catch up. I don't want to come across as some whiny baby, but the truth is, we're much more similar than we are different, and I just wanted to offer an exchange."

I had stolen the idea from Viktor, and it if it could work for the two of us, it could definitely get me out of the terrible situation with Dr. Mann.

"What do you mean by that?" he asked.

I brushed my hair out of my face, then tilted my head. "Well, for starters, we both get our shit together, because there's no sense in putting ourselves in a worse hell than we already are. Second, I propose that I have a chance to pass the class, in exchange for me keeping everything you said about me to myself. I can't afford to fail, and you can't afford to put your job at risk. We both come out of here without losing anything."

He thought for a moment. "You can't pass this class without getting a one hundred thirty-four on the final, which isn't possible."

I rose an eyebrow at him. "Did you calculate that just for fun?"

Dr. Mann looked down at the desk. "Maybe."

I laughed. "You're just as petty and immature as me. So I hate to be the person who asks for extra credit, but can I have some extra credit?"

He shook his head. "It's against my policy. I don't give anyone extra credit. But," he thought for a moment, "I could cheat the system and make you do an extra assignment that could perhaps boost your grade."

"What are you thinking?" I asked.

"You haven't shown anything that proves you've learned a single thing from my class, so I certainly can't do anything about your grade until you prove that you have. Find a way to do it, and I'll give you a decent grade."

"How long do I have?"

"Until the final exam."

"Consider it done. Fuck it, consider it done for Friday."

He gave me a slight smile. "Don't kill yourself over it, okay?"

I stood up. "Sorry. I really should keep my language professional here. But anyway, don't worry about me. I'll handle it. And I have one more question."