Chapter 42- Labeled for Life

That Thursday evening, Caroline, Viktor, and I all went shopping for a dress for that dumbass banquet.

Caroline agreed to help us out, apparently in an attempt to put the whole video thing behind us. Plus, she still cared about Viktor's career. Plus, she was bored.

"What you need is something that says, 'I'm just the side piece.' Classy, dialed down, but still there," she explained as we wandered the Mall of America.

Did I drive an hour just so I would know where everything was? Hell fucking yeah, I did. It wasn't quite the same without dragging Blaine everywhere with Arti, but the familiarity was nice.

"It's a fucking dress. How much can it say?" I asked.

"A lot. You're the supporter, and you're going to have to act like it. Nothing about yourself. Only him," Caroline said.

"I would literally rather eat cat litter. Used cat litter."

"That's disgusting. Look, there's a certain role you need to play as the leading lady in his life, and this is one of them. You may not like it, but for his benefit, you're going to have to deal with it."

I looked over at Viktor. "I'm about to fuck up your entire career."

"No, you won't. You're not completely hopeless when it comes to fancy things. You're at least okay enough at handling yourself," Viktor said.

"Wow, thanks," I replied. "Anyway, I'm tired. I really don't feel like fucking around right now. I just want to get a goddamn dress and move on with our lives."

"Well, I don't have anywhere that I need to be, so we can take as much time as we need," Caroline said. "We need the perfect dress, and I don't care if they have to close this place on us, we're going to find it."

"You'll look pretty no matter what you wear," Viktor said as he took a hold of my hand. I let him.

"Of course, she'll look pretty, but like I said, it's deeper than that," Caroline said.

It really wasn't, and I was getting close to telling her that if she was so concerned about how the fuck I looked, she could just go. It was silly, and I hoped Viktor wasn't expecting too much from me.

I didn't say anything else as we walked into a store.

The stuff on display was pretty, but I was a basic bitch. I didn't want colors, patterns, or anything that drew attention to me. My overbearing personality was enough to take on that job.

"This is all centerpiece stuff. We need something more subdued for you," Caroline thought out loud.

I mentally thanked her as something caught her eye in another direction.

I looked down at my hand, my fingers laced through Viktor's, then up at him. He was on his phone.

"Would you put that down for one second?" I asked with a slight laugh.

"I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with the Jardetzky twins. They just got suspended from the hockey team," Viktor said.

My eyes widened. "What? Why?"

He shrugged. "They did something they weren't supposed to, I guess. And it doesn't look too good, since it's for the rest of the season."

I grimaced. "Ouch."

Caroline came back with a black dress in her hands. "This is it." She held it up for me to see.

To my surprise, Caroline actually had decent taste. It was long-sleeved, simple, and classy.