Doce

Karina Russo
"Where are you going? I thought we were going to talk?" I said as I walked down the stairs as fast as my heels would let me. Lorenzo was at the door about to step out.

"Uh, yeah, talk, we'll talk when I return." He ran his fingers through his hair and gave me a nod before stepping out.

"Wai-" I tried to say but it was too late. I guess we'll just talk later. I looked around the house and it was beautiful. There were lots of windows but the main style of the house was an Italian villa. The house was huge and the view was incredible. Although the house was very beautiful, it didn't feel like home. There weren't pictures or anything to show that someone lived here. The house felt very empty and I had a feeling I'd be alone most of the time.

While I was walking down the hall that led to the living room, my stomach grumbled so I decided to head to the kitchen somehow.

"Buongiorno, signora Russo, hai fame?" A sweet voice broke through the silence. The voice belonged to an elder lady that was next to the stove. Her smile reminded me of that of a mother's and I returned the smile.

"Uh I don't know Italian." I softly replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry sweetheart, I thought you did, anyways I asked if you were hungry, tesoro." She said in a heavily accented voice.

"Oh! Yeah kinda." I chuckled.

"Very well then, take a seat and I'll whip up something for you." She turned her back on me and faced the stove.

After the kind lady served me my breakfast, she excused herself.

I silently sat at the counter and ate my breakfast while staring out of the large window that looked onto the garden and beach.

I wonder where Lorenzo went in such a hurry this morning.

Lorenzo Russo
"Now that the 'family business' is officially yours, I don't want you letting it get to your head. Your mother and I have raised you to be a fairly decent man. At this point you should know what's expected of you." My father gave me a stern look while lighting his cigar. He leaned back in his office chair and seemed more relaxed than I had ever seen him.

"The Mafia is a huge responsibility, our family has led it for many generations but don't think I won't hesitate to remove you from your position as the don if you fuck up." I nodded understandingly and took a sip from the glass of whiskey I currently had in my hand.

My father had called me in to discuss my new responsibilities now that I was officially and finally the don. We were currently in my childhood home, my parents current home. It's exactly the same way I remembered it from my childhood. I only lived here till I turned 13 because my father thought it'd be best to send me to one of my nonno's most trusted men to be trained.

I'm glad my father called me in because I really don't want to talk to Karina about Alec's bitch ass.

"How's the married life?" My father changed the subject as he took another puff of his cigar.

"I wouldn't know, I got married yesterday." I replied unbothered.

"You won't have time to enjoy it. The Russians are up our ass and you have to meet with the Almonte brothers soon to figure out your game plan. Pedro and I aren't the leaders anymore but we've left you with enough resources." He said.

"Very well, I have to go check on some stuff." I stood up and nodded at my father. I made my way out of his office and down the stairs to the front door. Before I could open the door, it opened from the outside and in walked my brother, Luca.

"My brother, how long has it been? I hear you're getting married, when's the wedding? Who's the bride?" My brother instantly said as he saw me.

"It was yesterday. Why are you here? Did you run out of money again?" I replied harshly as I eyed his suitcase.

"Very funny little brother, always the joker, you." He said as he placed his arm on my shoulder.

"I have to go." I said as I stepped out of his hold and walked towards the door.

"I'll come visit you and your lovely bride soon, little brother." He replied with a smirk.

"I'm older then you, asshole." I stepped out of the house and walked to my car.

My brother and I didn't have the best relationship but that was because of how my parents treated us differently.

They were lenient with him and let him screw around. They were more strict with me but that was probably because I was becoming the next head of the Italian Mafia. I always resented him for that, nonetheless.

He was allowed to mess up and my parents brushed it off like nothing. Now they complain about how he has no priorities and shit.

My ringing phone brought me out of my thoughts so I quickly took it out of my pocket and answered.

"Speak." I said.

"Woah is this any way to speak to your brother-in-law? Am I dog perhaps that responds to one word orders?" I recognized Eduardo as the person on the line.

"Sorry, what do you need?" I sighed.

"That's more like it, we need to have a meeting to discuss the game plan regarding the Russians."

"I was about to call to talk about that. How about you and Pablo catch a plane from Mexico to Italy so we can talk. I'm sure Karina will like that you guys are visiting." I replied truthfully.

"Very well, I'll talk to Pablo. How are you treating my sister?"

"Eduardo, I've been married to her for less then 24 hours, I've only been in her presence for probably less than that, and I've only been with her alone for half of that. What do you mean how have I been treating her?" I responded annoyed seeing as that was the only question people seemed to be asking.

"I mean how have you been treating her. Those hours you've been with her are still important." He chuckled knowing he was getting on my nerves.

"I don't know. I think I've treated her well? I don't know man, I hope I've treated her well." I sighed a bit irritated.

"Okay, okay. I'll speak with you later then."

He hung up, thankfully, and I kept driving. I needed to go to the warehouses I had here in Venice and then I had to go to the legal company my family had here. I didn't have to go but I really don't want to talk to Karina anytime soon.