Once

Lorenzo Russo
I quickly recognized the scream as Karina's and I sprinted down the hall and into our bedroom.

Karina was drenched in her own sweat and tears flew down her cheeks as she held onto the blanket as tight as she could.

"Cara mia, what's wrong?" I said as I wrapped my arms around her and sat as close to her as possible on the bed.

"We heard a scream Mr. Russo, is everything alright?" My men jogged into the room doing their job.

"Yes, everything's alright, thank you." I said giving them a glance but my eyes quickly returned back to Karina.

I heard them walk out and close the door behind them.

"Karina? What happened?" I rubbed her back as she sobbed on my shoulder.

"Just hold me please." She said and looked up at me. Her eyelashes were wet from the tears and her hair was everywhere. Regardless of all of this, she still looked beautiful.

I nodded and held her as close as I possibly could while rubbing her back and whispering soothing words into her ear.

Eventually her sobs became soft sniffles and she slowly looked up at me.

"I had a nightmare." She chuckled at herself and I felt the corner of my lips tugging upwards.

"Do you have these nightmares often?" I gave in and finally smiled.

"Only around this time of year." Her chuckle died down a little and she smoothed the blanket around her.

"What happens around this time of year?" I asked while I softly lifted her chin up so that she could look at me.

"My mother's death anniversary." She responded softly. Although her face was serious and it seemed unfazed, her eyes gave her away. You could see how much her mother's death affected her.

"I'm sorry." I cleared my throat not knowing what to say or do.

"Don't apologize, it's not your fault, it's mine." She looked at the watch on my wrist and then at my face and spoke before I could question her. "Where did you sleep?"

"I took a nap in the other room." I lied while looking down at her hand playing with my watch.

"Liar." Her word made me look up at her so fast, I swear I almost got whiplash.

"I swear." I cleared my throat and stared out the window.

Her hand gripped my chin and turned me to look at her. It seemed as if her grip would be harsh but it was soft. She stared at me for a while before speaking up.

"Your eyes get darker when you lie. You haven't slept at all." She smirked while she let go of my chin.

"It's dark as hell woman, how can you tell if my eyes get darker?" I replied unbelievably.

"Your big ass window let's all of the moonlight in, do you not have eyes?" She chuckled.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes playfully.

"Come on, you need sleep so I guess you can sleep next to me." She joked.

"I'm honored that I get to sleep next to you, your majesty." I said as I kicked off my shoes. I normally sleep in my boxers but I didn't want to make her uncomfortable so I kept on my dress pants and shirt.

"Are you sure you're comfortable in that?" She replied still sitting down.

"Well cara, I usually sleep in my underwear but I don't want to disrespect the queen." I bowed down.

She threw a pillow at me and smiled.

"Hey! That's what I get for trying to be thoughtful?? Now I'm going to sleep naked." I said as I began to take off my shirt.

"Lorenzo!" She giggled. "You can sleep in your boxers!"

Her giggle was the second best sound in the world, the first one was her saying my name.

"I mean I guess." I smirked as I got into the bed, in my boxers, and turned to look at Karina who had laid down.

"This is exactly how I pictured my wedding night." She smiled at my words and turned to look at me.

"I'm glad it's lived up to your expectations." She sarcastically responded.

I wanted to kiss her. The moonlight made her skin glow and she looked perfect. I didn't want to push her so I decided against it and closed my eyes.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"For what?" I replied tiredly. The bed and pillow felt so nice and I wanted to sleep.

"For almost leaving with Alec." My eyes flew open at the sound of his name and I felt myself getting angry.

"Sorry isn't going to cut it Karina." I snapped and she flinched.

"I'm sor-" she continued but I quickly cut in. "We'll  talk about this in the morning. I'm too tired to fight with you right now." I said and turned around. Soon enough I felt sleep take over me.

Karina Russo
His defined back was facing me and I could hear his calmed breathing.

It wasn't my intention to make him mad but this is what I get. I loved how playful we were being and I felt that this might be the right time to apologize but I was wrong.

I knew what I was getting myself into when I walked to the altar earlier and I shouldn't have even considered leaving with Alec but I am human. I had remembered our relationship before Alec left and I wanted that again. Alec was my first love and my 16 year old self thought we'd be together forever. As I can see though, that wasn't the case and now I'm married to Lorenzo.

Lorenzo isn't bad. I could of gotten so much worse but I'm honestly glad my father chose him as my husband. He was playful and sweet when he wanted to be but he was also cold and manipulative.

I don't know if we'll work out but a small part of me really wants us to which is why I apologized. I just hope he listens to me.