Chapter 17

Vic's POV

I drive towards Toby's house with the court ordered letter of apology sitting on the passenger seat.

I'm so thankful I didn't get jail time but I do have to do ninety hours of community service. But the best thing that came out of the court hearing was that Chrissy now has a restraining order against Toby and he was expelled from school.

I was also called into a meeting with the principal where they assured me they would be taking actions to maximize Chrissy's safety. I also mentioned the bullying towards Lisa and they said that they'd look into it.

I'm honestly stoked with the result. It nearly makes me grateful that I punched that little shit.

I soon arrive at the front of Toby's house. I grab the letter and get out of the car before going up to the front door. I knock then stand back and wait. Someone soon opens the door. A man. I've seen him before but I can't put a name to a face but then he says my name.

"Vic? What are you doing here?" He asks confused.

"A-Alex?" I stammer.

I cant say anything else. I just stare at him. This is so surreal. I haven't see him since I was fifteen, since the day he cheated on me and I broke up with him.

Toby suddenly appears beside Alex. The bruising on his face seems to have gone down significantly.

"Um, that's for you." I mumble, handing the letter to Toby but only glancing away from Alex for a second.

"So you're the asshole who punched my son." Alex mutters.

"Your son assaulted my daughter." I say defensively.

"Your kid is a freak and he deserved it." Alex spits.

"Don't you stand there and insult my daughter!" I growl. "You better watch your kid."

"Was that a threat?" Alex hisses.

"Yeah, that was a fucking threat. If he comes near either of my daughters or my son again, it'll be the last thing he ever does." I spit.

"What are you going to do, faggot?" Toby growls.

I look to Alex who doesn't even flinch at the slur.

"You seriously let him talk like that?" I ask Alex bewildered. "You of all people should know the effects of that word or have you forgotten how homophobic your parents are?"

He looks nervous.

"Wait, are you not out to your kid?" I blurt out.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." Alex stammers out. "Toby, go clean your room."

Toby goes to protest but Alex shoves him then Toby just complies.

"I'm not a faggot anymore if that's what you're insinuating." Alex spits.

"What do you mean? You can't just stop being gay. There is no on and off switch." I say, confused.

"My parents sent me to a camp when I was sixteen and they cured me." he said.

"Cured you? You mean they beat you until you were too traumatized to be yourself?" I frown.

"I-It wasn't like that. I was sick. They helped me. My parents cared enough to get me help." Alex snaps.

I feel sad for him. I really do. No one deserves that.

"No wonder your kid is so fucked up. You're just as fucked up." I sigh. "I just came to give Toby the written apology. I wish you the best, Lex."

I go to walk away but Alex stops me.

"Wait," He sounds desperate. "Can we talk?"

I'm confused by his request and feel very hesitant but I find myself agreeing. He invites me inside the house and leads me into the living room. He sits on the sofa and gestures for me to sit next to him.

"Look, I don't like thinking about that part of my life so I just want to apologize for cheating on you and leave it at that." He says steely.

"You mean that?" I say disbelievingly.

"I do. I was a kid and I had all these hormones and urges and when you refused to satisfy those urges, I found someone else that could. I didn't take your feelings into account and I'm sorry." He tells me.

"It was a long time ago and I'm over it. But thanks anyway." I shrug.

He looks uncomfortable and nervous.

"Do you still have those urges?" I ask him.

"What urges?"

"You know, to have relations with men." I shrug.

He immediately looks guilty.

"I told you, I'm not like that anymore." He says defensively.

"You're telling me that you don't think about kissing a guy, touching a guy, being touched by a guy?" I tease.

He looks down at his hands then looks back up at me.

"Alex, you should just be yourself. You're not happy and you're teaching your son intolerance." I explain softly.

"It's not right." he says.

"Who is to dictate what's right and what's wrong when it stands in the way of your happiness?" I urge. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

"My wife died eight years ago." he admits.

"Sorry for your loss." I say softly and he nods. "But that's even more reason to be yourself. You're not hurting anyone."

He looks stressed and runs his fingers through his hair. He stares at me for a minute before he unexpectedly leans forward and kisses me. Absolutely missing and craving intimacy, I kiss back. His hand slides up my thigh and I pull him closer to me.

"Dad, what the fuck!"

Alex stops kissing me and looks towards Toby who's at the entrance of the room.

The sudden jolt back into reality makes me think about Kellin.

"Um, I'm going to go." I whisper awkwardly.

I get up and leave the house as quick as I can, feeling in a daze. I get in my car and drive off towards home where my daughters are probably waiting for me.

I feel sick as I drive. I've never kissed anyone other than Kellin for the entirety of our relationship. I feel as if I just cheated on him but I didn't because we're not even together anymore. Is this what dating is going to feel like when we file for divorce and I bring myself to move on? Will it just be a series of me feeling guilty even though I shouldn't?

One thing is for sure, I miss Kellin's lips and everything else about him.

I don't think I'm going to survive this divorce. I can barely survive without him for a month, what if I have to do this for the rest of my life?

--

I'll update twice a week from now on. I'm thinking Tuesday and Friday.