Chapter 4

"Have you hydrated enough? Are your laces done up tight enough?" Vic asks Lisa.

"Yeah sir." she answers cheekily.

"Don't you 'yes sir' me." Vic smirks. "Are you going kick Clairemont's ass?"

"I think you're supposed to tell me to have fun or something." Lisa giggles.

I chuckle and kiss my daughter's head.

"I think sometimes your father forgets he's your papa and not your coach. Have fun out there, Sweetheart." I tell her.

"But if you don't win we're disowning you." Chrissy chimes in.

"Your sister's right." I shrug and Lisa scowls.

"I'm kidding. Come on, family hug for good luck. Where's Junior?" I question, not having noticed the boy disappear.

"With his friends." Lisa murmurs quietly.

I notice Chrissy give Lisa a sympathetic look. What was that about?

"He should be here." I sigh.

"Dad, its fine." Lisa brushes it off. "I don't need luck, I've got this in the bag."

I sigh and pull her into my arms, smiling a little proudly. Vic wraps his arms around the both of us and gestures for Chrissy to join. We all hug until Tay yells "there she is!".

We pull apart and look to where all the cheerleaders are walking across the field.

We cheer and scream until they're all aligned.

They start doing a routine cheer and dance to music and Ella ends up on top of the pyramid.

"What? She didn't tell me she was top of the pyramid!" Tay shouts proudly.

"Of course she is. Ella's the best at everything she does." Vic chuckles.

"Okay, I better go." Lisa says.

"Alright we'll see you at half time. In all seriousness, have fun baby girl." Vic says and she nods.

"Always do Papa." she smiles as kisses his cheek then mine.

She then rushes off to join the rest of the team. Vic and I exchange adoring looks.

"How long until the game starts?" Mike asks popping up behind Vic.

"Fifteen minutes." he answers.

"Dad, if it's not too much to ask and you're not doing anything, can we talk about something? You too, Papa." Chrissy asks.

"Sure thing, sweetie." I smile, thankful that she wants to confide in me.

I go sit on the bleachers away from people. Chrissy and Vic follow. Chrissy looks nervous as heck letting me know that whatever she wants to talk about is really bothering her.

"Well you know how you said if I needed anything then I could tell you. And how I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I can start hormone therapy soon?" she breathes.

"Yeah, go on." Vic encourages.

"Never mind. Maybe we shouldn't talk about this now." she brushes it off.

"No. We're talking about this now. There's no one around, we have fifteen minutes and if we don't talk about this now, you're not going to bring it up again. What is it, darling? You know we'll do anything for you." Vic explains and she sighs.

"Yeah I know, it's just awkward." she mumbles.

"It's probably not as awkward as you think it is." I assure her.