Chapter 35. Match made in Heaven (Epilogue).

Something warm was laying on my cheek, it was probably the thing that woke me up. I frowned, still half-asleep, and rolled over. The warmth disappeared, but now there was no point in trying to fall asleep again. Not that I wanted to, anyway.

I sighed, sat up and stretched my arms. The ray of sunlight blinded me for a second: no wonder I couldn't sleep any more. It was warm in my room, and once again I felt happy that Memory City was located not in snow biom. The majority of people prefered everlasting summer to neverending winter, so this field near the forest was the perfect place to settle down.

It was easy to grow food here, there was enough wood to build and water to drink. And - which was the greatest thing of all - animails here weren't scared of people! Very soon after the Thunder some of people discovered advantages of having pets, so now it wasn't unusual to hear barking or meowing. The life slowly came back on track.

  I stood up, tossing my blanket aside. Despite I had a bed in my room, I still wasn't able to lay more than two or three hours on it, so I slept on the floor. I didn't mind, actually, I only had to sweep the floor more often. The blanket and pillow were returned back on the bed, and I changed from my pajamas to the ordinary clothes. A green T-shirt with short sleeves was hiding only a very small part of my lightning mark, but I had no worries about it. For me, Maya and Gill these things had become something like matching tattoos with no magic powers.

To be fair, I had simply embraced my powers. After the Thunder there were a couple of times when I had dreams about lost kids or drought, but nothing more important. I actually had my own kind of farm in the nearby river, where that, how it was named, "Trigger" seaweed was growing. I checked on it every day, but my powers never called to me. However, I put the sound recorder there, just in case.

I sighed, walking closer to the window and opening it. Today wasn't an ordinary day, not at all. Today was the second anniversary of Sky City incident, and the first anniversary of the Thunder. It's been a whole year since those events. A whole year of freedom and happiness.

Lots and lots of things changed during this time. For example, the portal was transported to the City's centre. The enchanted flint and steel were located on a pedestal nearby, and everyone could use it. At first Miss Founder was afraid of thieves who'd like to steal the precious treasure, but as the time went by, there were no attempts of robberry. However, very few people travelled to the other world - most of them got used to Memory City. Honestly, something I felt like going in myself, but wasn't sure if Jesse wanted to see me again. For now, I've only sent him one letter and was still waiting for an answer.

Harry and John were the first ones who left this world behind. They left the next day after the portal was replaced, and nobody saw them again. Did anyone feel bad for two brothers? Probably not.

Honor, Miragold and Jordan turned from newbies to loyal and brave guards, protectors of the City. The black-headed girl was even promoted to the Capitan of the Guard ten months after the Thunder, and everyone agreed she deserved that position. Two other guards, well... They were respecful as well, but as the time went by, they became more interested in each other.

Young, strong and full of sarcasm, they often went to patrol around the Memory City alone, and spent a lot of time on their own. Although they claimed they were "practicing fighting", everyone knew what kind of chemistry was going on between the two. Some rumors said that Miragold and Jordan had kissed already; others - that Jordan had been going to different worlds full of danger just to get the "apple of his eye" most beautiful and magic flowers. Nobody apart from the two could know for sure what was true, but everyone liked making stories about their crush.

Gill, Maya and I? Well, we had a chance to start over, and I could honestly say that we didn't waste it. Gill wrote his own version of the "Book of two brothers", based on his memories of the original, which actually became really popular. Sometimes I could hear him murmuring something to himself about building a church. Maya one day suddenly found herself surrounded by children, who were dying to learn to swim. By and by, she became an amazing P.E. teacher in a brand new school, and I couldn't remember days when she was happier.