Chapter 22. Farewell.

I gasped, looking around and trying to see a light spot of familiar blonde hair. But, no matter where I looked, I couldn't notice both Jordan and Milo. A wild, unbelievable guess appeared in my head, and I tried to shake it off. No. Please, no!
But, deep inside my soul, I knew it was true. The river was too dangerous. There was no way everyone would've survived the trip. But I refused to believe it. It couldn't be true. It couldn't. It mustn't.

- No. - Maya gasped, standing up. - It can't be!
- Saw them! - Cat exclaimed, her eyes wide with fear. - Come!
She ran into the bushes, leaving everyone behind. I followed her, as well as the rest of my friends. Miragold and Honor both looked the leaves, their gaze filled with anxiety. Miss Founder ordered Reginald to be in charge, and ran next to me, something sparkling on her cheeks - and it probably wasn't the river water. Maya and Gill were both behind me, and I heard Gill whispering the strongest pray that ever existed.

Catherine gasped and froze in one place, staring at something behind the leaves. I stopped just in time to not crush in her, and, heart filled with worry and anger, came out on the open. What I saw made me flinch.

Jordan, all wet, sat on his knees, his gaze filled with fear and disbelief. His eyepatch was broken, and it wasn't hard for anybody to see his robotic eye. Blue dye on the tips of his hair washed off, he had a serious bleeding wound on his forehead. But, what was even worse, is that he stared at Milo.

The blonde leader was laying nearby, breathing hard. He didn't seem to have any injures, but I felt some sort of weird waves of energy coming from him.
- No! - Miss Founder cryed and rushed to her friend, kneeling down to him. I heard Maya gasping behind me.

Milo slowly opened his eyes and looked at The Founder.
- Isa... - His voice was more silent than wind. - You're here.
- Oh, Milo! - She whispered, wiping away her tears. - I was so... I thought I lost you!
- Not yet. - The blonde leader tried to move, but failed. - But very... Very soon.
- Don't say that! - Miragold shook her head. - It's alright, sir! You're safe now!

Honor knelt down next to Jordan, but he didn't react at all. I gulped, sitting down next to the male ruler. There were so many things I wanted to say, but it was impossible to choke out a word.
- Prophecy, Aiden. - Milo looked at me with a weak smile. - Do you remember? Each one of them will have their moment to see, what they are meant to give. I see now.
- No. - I felt hot tears on my cheeks again. - No, it's impossible! You-you-you are not one of the Three!

- I believe I am. - He shook his head. - I understood it.
- This is ridiculous! - Miss Founder cryed. - Stop saying that! We'll save you, Milo!
- We both know... - The blonde coughed. - My journey is over.
- Don't say that! - Miragold yelled, half-crying. - We won't let you die!
- This is my life. - Milo sighed. - This is my fate. You can't change that. I... I've suspected it since I've heard the second prophecy. I understood it, even before we started crossing the river.

- But you... - I couldn't find a word. - You wanted us to swim, even though you knew you'd die!
- This was... - The male leader coughed again. - The right thing to do. Now everything's exactly how it's supposed to be.
- It should've been me. - Jordan whispered for the first time. - I should've died!
- No. - Milo shook his head, looking at the you going guard. - You still have a life to live. I-I-I have lived a good one.

- Milo! - The Founder didn't even hide her tears, leaning above her friend. - Please, don't go! Please, stay here! Stay... Stay with me.
The male ruler decided to use the rest of his power to touch the raven-headed woman's hair. She gasped, grabbing his hand and looking him in the eye.