Chapter 27. Truth revieled.

It happened. I refused to believe it, just like that time with Milo, but it didn't change the fact that it was happenning. The Three were dying one after another, and there was nothing anybody could do to stop it.

I felt hot tears on my eyes. Reginald... The first one from this world who believed me. The first person in my entire life I've risked my life for. He was now gone. He sacrificed his future to save his people!

- No. - Isa whispered, and her voice was broken. - It should have been me.
- Capitan... - Honor gasped, falling on her knees. - Why?!
Jordan and Miragold put off their helmets, getting down on their knees, along with the rest of the guards. Even though I wasn't one of them, I couldn't help but follow them, bowing to Reginald in respect and mourning. Maya and Gill were with me, standing on their knees, eyes on the ground.

And then I felt shivers running down my spine. They were so strong I gasped, flinching. It was like some waves of pure energy came through my body, filling my whole soul with some warmth and cold. To put it simply - for a couple of moments my heart felt like it was boiling and freezing at the same time. Not one of my favourite feelings, that's for sure.

- Aiden! - Cat gasped and caught me, when I was about to fall on the ground. - You alright?
- I... Don't know. - I whispered, finding balance. - Maybe.
- He did it... - Jordan gasped. - He actually did it. I can't believe it...
Nobody could. Even though I had seen it before, it didn't make me feel any better. In fact, I felt completely the opposite - like another good man has sacrificed his life for nothing. And, probably, I even started to believe it, even though I desperately tried to deny that thought.

- What did he mean? - The first shock started to disappear, and people began to understand what had happened.
Something sparkling fell down from my face and his the grass, mixing with lots of raindrops around me. Was I crying? I couldn't feel a thing. Well, apart from the black hole, forming in my soul. Where is my power to accept the fate when I need it so much?!

- I don't understand. - John swallowed his tears, slowly standing up. - What did he mean?
- What are you talking about? - Isa harshly turned around, staring at the guard with growing fury in her wet eyes.
- H... He said something. - Harry didn't show any signs of any sadness or grief. - About being one of the three.

- Are you kidding me?! - Miragold hissed, her eyes sparkling with tears. - This is what you care about?!
- But he's right. - Somebody from the crowd exclaimed. - If he said his last wish that way, then...
- He didn't! - Isa shook her head. - What he said about being one of the three doesn't matter now. His last wish was all of us to be safe, so we should get moving now!

Instinctly I backed away a little. The ruler said one thing, but it was impossible to not understand her true feelings. And, if there's anything I know about being a leader, is that people will hardly ever follow the one, lying to them. But I simply couldn't imagine what that woman was coming through. Reginald used to be the most loyal guard to her, and losing him... It was probably as terrible as losing a part of herself.

- She right. - Cat nodded. - Do not have enough time. Let us go.
- And why should we follow you?! - Harry shouted, his eyes shooting daggers at the grounder. - This wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for you! You've killed him!
I growled, as the crowd started murmuring, agreeing with the stubborn guard. How dare they?!
- Shut up!

I only realised what I had said when everyone gazed at me. But, just like at that fight with Jesse, I couldn't stop.
- You think she wanted that to happen?! - I hissed. - You think Catherine wanted to murder Reginald?!
- Yes! - Harry pointed at my sister. - If was she who made us swim through that dangerous river! It was she who made us cross this canyon! If it wasn't for her, Milo and capitan would've still be alive!