Chapter 4. Weird.

The next day when I woke up I didn't even understand at first where the hell I was. I couldn't feel my warm and cozy bed, I couldn't hear a thing. I slowly sit on the cold floor and looked around. The second after that I remembered everything.

I was thrown in a small cell without even a bed. Unlike Gill and Maya, who shared a cell, I was all alone. I remembered that when Reginald had been escorting me I had noticed that the prison had an unusual construction. It was seperated into two different parts: a hallway with two or three cells and a small room with one cell in it. My friends had been thrown in a cell in that hallway but I had to live in that lonely room. No, it was clear why they had seperated us, but still... I couldn't even talk to anybody.

My sell had nothing in it! Not a bed, not a chair, just a small window with iron bars. So I stood up and came closer to the window. It was a little breezy outside and I could smell that scent that always appears after the thunder. Guess, it was raining that night.

The only thing I could see through iron bars were some woods. It was still pretty dark outside but warm, so I supposed it could be somwhere about a half an hour before sunrise. The I noticed something moving behind one of the trees.

I held my breath and looked closer. I could swear I saw a shadow changing its position, but then everything froze, like nothing even happenned. Once again I felt chills running down my back and a cold sweat on my forehead. Was I seeing things? Was I paranoid? I couldn't answer any of these questions.

Everything was still but I couldn't go back to sleep. So I sit in a corner, curled in a small ball and scratched my wrists. Guards had taken handcuffs off, but they had already dug so deep under my skin my wrists started bleeding.

Somehow I managed to fall asleep on the cold floor. And then for the first time in this world I had a dream. Actually, it wasn't a real dream, just a mix of emotions. I was scared and lonely, and it felt like everybody hated me. And then I felt the worst pain that ever existed shot through my spine. It was complete hell, I tried to scream but couldn't choke out even a silent sound.

Then I woke up, shaking in terror. I could have sworn I had seen something in my dream, but couldn't remember what it was. Still, it seemed really important, as if my whole life depended on it.

I shook the nasty feeling off and looked through the bars outside. The sun had already rosen and I heard some people talking with each other. I couldn't do anything but sigh. They were happy. Will I ever be happy again?

Then I heard footsteps inside the prison and turned around, just in time to see four guards coming through the door that seperated me from the outside world.
- Prisoner Aiden, turn to the wall and put your hands behind your head. - One of them ordered.

I obeyed and heard how they unlocked the iron door to my cell. Next thing I felt were my wrists pulled together behind my back. Click - and cold metal of handcuffes wrapped around my sore wrists. Not again!

I went out of my cell and, surrounded by four guards, started walking outside. I had no idea where I was going but I was pretty sure it had something to do with my "community service" punishment. Neither Maya nor Gill were in their cell, so I had a chance to at least see my former friends.

It was warm outside. Actually, it was so warm and blinding after the prison, that I froze for a few second, just breathing.
- Move! - one of my guards shouted and punched me in my back. I sighed and started walking.

I was led into the woods that were near my new "home". Then, when we finally stopped under one of the oak trees, another guardian, I believe, John, took the cuffs off and handed me a wooden axe. The second I touched it, everyone pulled their swords out and pointed them at me.
- Do not do anything dangerous, or else.

Instinctly I backed away a little. I mean, who wouldn't if they faced four strong men with sharp blades who would never hesitate using them? But my mission was simple, so I started cutting the tree down.

That's how I spend all day: cutting down trees with only a wooden axe, which I had to craft again four times since they break so fast. All my body was aching, I couldn't feel my legs, but the guards punched me if I tried to rest. After six or seven of trees I managed to forget about the swords and my escort.

When the sun finally set, I, once again, was disarmed, handcuffed and led away. Suddenly I noticed Maya and Gill beeing led away as well. Unlike me, there were only two guards escorting them. Gill noticed me and smiled, but I saw it wasn't easy for any of them to hold on. I nodded and tried to smile too, but another punch from my guards broke this weak facade.

I came into my cell. Guards took the cuffs off and gave me  a loaf of bread. That was when I realised I was starving, so I sit down on the cold floor and started eating. Man, even though I was a prisoner, the food here was really good.
Then, when all the loaf was eaten, I sighed and looked around, only to be faced with complete darkness. I didn't even understand how late it was! And then I realised there were no torches in the whole room.

- Oh no no no no no! - I murmured, backing away, until my back felt cold touch of the iron bars. The moon light lit up the small space around window, so I curled myself in a ball and sit down, shaking in terror. Yeah, it has always been one of the most humaliating things in my life - stupid fear of darkness! Then I remembered a song my stepmother used to sing me as a lullaby. I had no idea what language it was written on, but even after all these years I remembered every single word.

  Под небом голубым
Есть город золотой
С прозрачными воротами
И яркою звездой.
А в городе том сад,
Всё травы да цветы,
Гуляют там животные
Невиданной красы.

I started singing, trying to imagine my stepmother sitting next to me in our old house. It seemed to be so long ago, before all this envy and hate. I remembered her soft, always warm arms and how gently she hugged me. I remembered her amazing scent, her beautiful blue eyes and long hair, which'd had the same colour as melted chocolate. All this nostalgia made my heart hurt even more, and I couldn't hold on anymore. My tears started running down my cheeks, my sobs silenced the song and I buried my face in my hands, crying my entire soul out.

- You'll get used to that.
I flinched and jumped up, staring at Reginald, who was looking at me through the ajar iron door.
- What uh... - I weeped my still hot tears off. - What do you mean?
Capitan of the royal guard rolled his eyes.
- I mean, you deserve beeing punished and you know that. But you will get used to feeling guilty and lonely. Everyone does.
- Oh, I know, I know. It's not that. - I nervously chuckeled. - It's just... I remembered something, that's all.

Reginald hesitated a little before coming inside. He took out a torch and I instantly came closer to the light.
- You, um... You shouldn't be held in such loneliness. I mean, I'm not sure about your mental health. Have you even talked to anybody today?

Did he sound worried? About me?
- Huh, no, not really. I'm not allowed to speak. - I sighed, rubbing the back of my head.
- Oh. Yes. Right.

Reginald shook his head and was about to hide the torch when I stopped him. I couldn't be alone in the darkness again.
- No, wait!
- What?
I saw his right hand near his sword, ready to attack.
- Can I, please, have this torch? I, uh... I'm scared of darkness.

Capitan of the royal guard shrugged and placed the torch on the opposite wall in the room, making sure I couldn't reach it.
- Thank you. - I tried to smile. He turned around and nodded.
- You should sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a hard day. - he said and left me alone, locking the door. I sighed and laid on the cold floor. There was something moving in the outside but I didn't pay attention. After all, Reginald was right. I had real problems with my mental health.