Chapter 18. The first day.

I still couldn't believe Miss Founder chose us to lead the way to safety. No, of course, Cat was the only person who knew where to go, but I had no idea why we needed to go with her. I wasn't like I had any problems with such an honor, however . It was just... I wasn't sure I deserved it, that's all. Many people still remembered that Sky City incident, and without a doubt, couldn't trust the Blaze Rods again. Even though we actually were prisoners, it didn't stop anybody from flinching, as we passed them. But, to be honest, almost everybody had much bigger problems than worrying about us.

Once Milo told people to pack their things and get ready to the journey, it was no surprise citizens were really dissapointed. I could relate - after all, they'd built the city with their bare hands, they called it home. And now they needed to leave it, because their leaders told them too.

Honestly, I was shocked how well Miss Founder was doing. Her voice was calm, and it somehow managed to calm people down, preventing any sort if panic. She was standing in the middle of the glade, like an island in the wild ocean, organising her citizens into groups. She didn't show a sign of worry, just her traditional smile that gave people courage.

Reginald and his guards were packing the most important resourses we could need in our journey. And, looking at them, my heart suddenly felt unusual. It was calling me to help, to be a part of that crowd. For the first time in my entire life I wanted to do something good for the people, I wanted to work with them, to become helpful. But I knew that out there I was just a criminal. And I really wanted to be someone more.

- This is crazy. - Miragold whispered. - To look at that churning crowd, but don't do a thing.
- Feels pretty selfish, doesn't it? - Honor asked. - I mean, everybody is working so hard, and we're just standing here, watching. Think we should go help them?
- No, I don't. - Jordan shook his head. - You heard The Founder. She wanted us to lead the way.

- Actually, she wanted Catherine to lead the way. - Gill reminded. - I'm sure we're here just because they don't trust us.
- What? - I gasped. - Where did you get that idea?
- I'm actually gonna agree with Bruise Boy on that one. - The blonde guard nodded. - It has nothing to do with that!
- Well, he might be right. - Maya sighed. - What if they're just trying to keep us away from the crowd so we won't hurt anybody?

I didn't find a thing to answer. Just one thought that the rulers might be so suspicious of us made me shudder. Of course, it would be ridiculous to think that they trust me entirely, but still... Was I not trustworthy at all?

- Hey, newbies! - Reginald came from nowhere. - Miss Founder is calling all of you. It's time.
I gulped so loud everyone turned to me. Cat smiled.
- Will be okay. - She smiled kindly. - Do not worry.
- Alright. - I smiled back.
Miragold patted my forearm, as if she was saying me to get moving. That touch wasn't painfull, it could even be considered as friendly, so I followed the capitan.

We went on the glade, where The Founder and Milo had seperated people into five groups. Each group consisted of almost twenty members, not including guards. Two of Reginald's people were in every group as well: one in the front, and one in the back.

When people saw us, surrounded by four guards, they started whispering, staring at me, Gill, Cat and Maya. I felt their hate towards us, it could easily be read in every pair of eyes(no offence, Jordan). The leaders saw us too and came closer.
- They are ready. - Milo said with concern. - Are you?
- Am. - Cat nodded. - But do have wear handcuffs?
- I'm sorry, but you know the rules. - Miss Founder sighed. - All four of you should be restrained.

I sighed and nodded. Sure, I understood I deserved that and even more, but it still felt bad. Maybe, Gill was right after all?
- Alright. - The brown-headed girl growled. - No time. Let's go.
- Now, you seven will be the first one. - The Founder looked us in the eye. - I'll be in the fifth group, Milo will join the third one and Reginald's place will be in the first one. I hope all of you understand the importance of being in front, because all of our lives depend on you.