Chapter 23. Strong.

It was silent. The only thing I could hear was the crack of fire and people's breath. Nobody talked, the loudest voice everyone managed to say in was a whisper. Death of Milo got everyone down, and even the most optimistic ones couldn't find any reason to be happy now.

I sat near the bonfire, looking at the flame. My heart was aching, especially because I understood I couldn't do a thing. Much to my surprise, long crying made me feel better, see clearer. It was obvious that there was nothing we could do to help Milo or any of the Three, still left. But... Still, it felt so wrong that I couldn't help the blonde hero, couldn't save him. Despite Catherine's faith in my knowledge of fate, I had no idea what to do with it.

What is fate? I've always thought that the person could change their destiny if they really wanted to, but now I started to hesitate. Wasn't it my duty to make people see the opportunity to change their fate? Or was it impossible to change, no matter, how hard we try? I didn't know. But what I did know, was that Milo's destiny couldn't be forgotten.

I gasped, feeling my tears drying out. Suddenly I realised that all the pain, all the sadness and anger - everything, that the death of the leader had left behind, it was slowly fading away. It became easier to think, all the confusion was gone. I took a deep breath and stood up, glancing at the crowd. Well, maybe, I was wrong after all? I still could do one small thing Milo would've liked.

I sat down near Gill and Maya. Her blue eyes were filled with tears, but she somehow managed to smile to me. Gill was hugging her shoulders, as if wanted to shield her from all the pain that was in this world.
- Hey. - I whispered. - How are you two doing?
- I don't know. - Maya sighed and put her head on Gill's chest, without even realising it. - It's just... I can't believe he's gone!
- Right. - Gill nodded. - He was so great. He never deserved that!

I sat there, not speaking at all. I was listening. And it was the only thing that felt right in a whole situation. Don't know why, but Maya suddenly started telling me about one day, when Milo had given her a piece of cake, and then about more and more situations with him. I saw memories of past dancing behind her eyes, as she started smiling. Somehow, and I had no idea how, their pain of loss started slowly fading away. I smiled and hugged both of them, feeling their tears soaking my clothes.

- I... - Gill smiled, as I let go. - I... Thank you, boss.
- It's fine. - I nodded. - And, please, call me Aiden.
- Alright. - Maya stretched her arms. - I don't know what you did, but it helped a lot, Aiden. Thank you.
- I didn't do a thing. - I shrugged. - I just... Listened.
- I wouldn't call it "just listening". - Gill shook his head. - It's was like... You've triggered the best memories about him and taken the grief away.
I just shrugged. It had been really great to listen to them, kinda like walking through the last year with my friends.

- I need both of you to be strong, okay? - I asked, patting their backs. - We still have a city to save.
- Sure. - Maya smiled.
- Will do. - Gill suddenly frowned. - But I think you should check on others. They might need your encouragement too.

I nodded and stood up, looking at people. My friend was right - everybody was silently sitting, not even moving. I sighed and came to the first group of people - it included only members of the guard. John and Harry were sitting apart from everyone else, and Harry hugged his knees. Three younger guards were there as well, and I saw Jordan biting his lower lip - it was bleeding. Hesitating for a moment, I sat down, and all the members of the guard turned their faces to me.

I gulped - last time I was surrounded with so many guards was a year ago, at the court. Even now my cowardice begged me to put my wrists out in surrender. But I wasn't going to let stupid fear take away my chance to fulfill Milo's last will. He would've wanted me to do that.