Chapter 5. Not alone.

I cut down anoter birch and took some birch wood blocks, two saplings and even an apple. I looked at the fruit, fighting desperation to eat it. But I was not allowed to eat anything exept that one loaf of bread they gave me every evening. So I sighed and put all the drop in a small chest behind me. Yeah, even although I had been cutting these stupid trees down, I had never kept any drop. Four guars, who surrounded me, watched my every move, ready to attack if I do something that is considered to be dangerous. But, of course, I didn't even try to. What was the point?

Suddenly I saw something moving behind a tree, not so far from me. I only mentioned it moving, but had no idea about what it was. Probably, another hallucination.

I've been imprisoned for almost a year, and my mental health was really unstable. Througout this time I had been having nightmares and hallucinations, as well as fear of darkness, which somehow became stronger, than ever before. However, no one cared. To everybody I was just an imprisoned villain, who would take every opportunity to escape. To be honest, there were times when I actually thought about escaping.

Probably if I were braver, I would have at least tried to. So what stopped me? My fricking cowardice. Oh, yeah, I was so scared to even try! I knew that I wouldn't be able to live behind the bars much longer, but at least now I was alive. This was the main reason I begged Jesse to take me with him, wasn't it?

I shook these thoughts off and continued cutting the trees down. Then I suddenly felt someone watching me and turned around, only to be met with sharp blades near my chest. But then... Then I saw someone else.

They stood near a small lake, in the shadow of a huge oak. I couldn't see their face or even recognise the gender of this person since they wore a black cape and a black hood, hiding their body. The next moment they just disappeared, like there was nobody even close to that spot!
- What are you looking at? - One of the guards asked.
- There was a person. There, near that lake!

Then a few things happened in the same moment. Two of my guards turned around but weren't fast enough to see anybody. John, strong bald guard with dark skin and gray eyes, punched me in my stomack. I fell on the ground, groaning in pain.
- Why?! - I looked up and froze, seeing four sharp blades pointing directly at me. - Wh...What have I done?!
- Try lying to us one more time, criminal, and you will rot in your smelly cell forever! - John should, grabbing my forearm and pulling me on feet. - Now grab your little axe and cut all these trees down, or else.

I had no need to be reminded of my powerless-ness. But even when I quetly obeyed and continued working, I couldn't forget that figure. I was sure it wasn't just a plot of my imagination - they felt so real! And, yeah, their non-human speed and reaction were creepy, but what actually freacked me out was the fact that whoever they were, they were watching me. I mean, my brain wasn't so damaged it created such a good hallucination. It wouldn't be possible... Would it?

One good thing about community service - after few months you learn to ignore these hours of doing stuff. That was what happened: suddenly I realised it was almost sunset. So I finished with the last oak, put all the drop in the chest and closed my eyes, breathing freely. Man, I love sunsets! Then I turned to my escort and held out my wrists. The cold metallic cuffs wrapped around and I felt somebody's grip on my forearm. Without waiting for an order to move, I started walking towards the prison. Just another day in this world. I got used to beeing a prisoner, I just wished I could see Maya and Gill more often. I hadn't talked to them since the court but I knew they had to show people crafting recipies.

- Stop! - I suddenly heard and my instincts made me obey.
I turned around and saw another guard, Harry. And he was furious - his fingers were flenched into fists, his brown eyes shot lightings.
- Is something wrong? - One of my guards, Robert asked. I wasn't allowed to talk, so I kept my mouth shut.

Harry walked to me, almost growling. Okay, now I was a little bit freaked out. Everyone on the meadow, which was chosen to be the center of the new-born town, turned around.
- Now you are going to tell me where they are, and I will let you live your pathetic life, understand?

All right, now it was my turn to talk.
- I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?
Instead of answering me, Harry punched me in the face. Long imprisonment did its job - my reaction became worse and I couldn't duck. I fell on the ground and felt blood in my mouth. Then somebody grabbed me and pulled on my feet, only to push me into some wall. Harry pressed his sword against my throat, making it hard to breathe.

- One more chance, criminal! Where did you hide them?
I struggled to get away from this madman when I heard familiar furious voice. Harry stepped away and I fell on the ground. I wasn't able to stand up since my hands were still cuffed but then I felt somebody pulling me up. Harry held my forearm tightly, spreading the pain through my body.
- What in a world is going on here?! - The Founder asked, walking to us.
- Ma-am, this prisoner stole the apples!
Wait, what?

- He did what? - Milo asked, standing near the Founder.
- No, no I didn't! - I tried to answer but Harry punched me again.
- Today he was cutting the trees down and putting the drop into the chest. There also were some apples, but when we were sorting the drop we found none!

Alright, now I was scared and confused. I remembered some apples that I'd got from trees but was sure I'd put them in the chest.
- That's impossible, - I gasped. - I put everything I got into the chest!
- Shut up! - Harry shouted right into my ear. - You stole them!
- Aiden, you better confess now. - The Founder demanded.
- But I didn't do anything! - I was almost crying.
Milo sighed and looked at Harry.

- Empty his inventory.
The guard gladly followed the order only to find out I had nothing. But this didn't stop him from framing me.
- Of course he doesn't have them with him. Because he ate them!
- No, no-no-no, I didn't! - Of course, nobody listened to me. - I was watched all day, I wouldn't have time to!
- How about the time when you distracted the guards and tried to escape? - John came closer.
- It-It lasted barely a few seconds! And there-there was a person! And I didn't try to escape, honestly!

The Founder looked at me with hate and disgust. Then she looked at Harry and John.
- Throw him in his cell. I'll talk to him later.
My eyes widened as I tried to say something, but guards started dragging me away, cleary not caring if they hurt me.

- No, wait, please, stop! - I screamed. - Please, wait, I didn't do anything! No no no, come on, please!
But they didn't listen. They punched me with a lot of force and threw me in my cell.
- I think you've had enough food for today. - Spitted Harry.
They left me, slamming the door behind them. I was crying, my tears mixed with my blood.

- No no no no no! - I whispered with my shaking voice. It was hard to breathe, I could feel my crazy heartbeat in my toes. I heard unnatural, imaginary voices in my head and I screamed, trying to save myself from this insanity.
- Shut up, shut up, shut up!

I stood up and started hitting the wall. Scarlet blood poured from my wounded fists and head, it was everywhere. I fell on the cold floor, and started rolling, wanting these voices to get away. Suddenly everything stopped. I slowly sat and started shaking, my clothes were wet because of my tears, sweat and blood.
- Make it end. - I begged.

Then I heard a familiar voice.
- Aiden, man, it'll be alright.
I looked around the room but there was nothing. Was I going out of my head?
- We're here, boss.
Only one person I knew called me like that. I tried to stand up but failed and collapsed on the floor.

- Over here, Aiden.
I crawled to the wall that seperated me from the other Blaze Rods. Could it be?
- M-Maya? Gill? - I whispered. Oh, please, let them be real!
- It's us, boss. - Gill's voice was silent.
I weeped some tears and blood from my face.
- But... But how?
- Gill has been trying to make a hole in this wall since we were thrown here. - Maya answered. - There're no guards here at night, so we can talk. We... We are sorry about what happenned, Aiden. But we are here for you.

I couldn't bare it and started crying again. Leaning against the wall. After everything I've done they still were here.
- Even... Even after all these times you've suffered because of me?
- Always. - Maya's and Gill's voices sounded as one.