Chapter 31. The Thunder.

I couldn't hear my thoughts as people were screaming and yelling extremely loud. My vision was still blurry because of the lightning bolt, and I couldn't see clearly.
- NO! - Jordan shouted, kicking his guards in attempt to get away from them and run towards his friend. - LET ME GO! MIRAGOLD!
I gasped as I finally saw two bodies laying on the ground. It was too dark to see properly, but I was desperately watching for any motion, any sign that these two were alive. The Three were gone. Nobody else had to die.

- Look! - Honor suddenly shouted, pointing at Miragold and Harry. - They are alive!
I also noticed the short guard's chest moving up and down, and couldn't help but exhale happily. They were alive!
- No! - The blonde guard screamed in true terror, as another lightning crushed into the ground just a couple of blocks away from the two.
- LET ME GO! - John was held back by some people. - IT'S MY BROTHER IN THERE!

- They are knocked out. - Maya's voice was barely louder than a squeak. - They won't make it!
I knew she was right. Neither Miragold nor Harry moved, it was clear that they were uncontious. Jordan and John were struggling in useless attempts to break free and run under the lightnings to save the ones who they cared about.
Another lightning stroke somewhere far away, and the rumble brought some unusual sound to my ears. It was something like voices, lots and lots of them. They were whispering something I couldn't understand, but I still felt like it was important.

"The only one whose blood has courage..."
I flinched forward, staring at two bodies, that were about to turn into ashes.
"Cats whose fur is made of fire..."
There was no way to save them. We all knew it, even John and Jordan gave up fighting.
"Will heed the ones..."

I gasped as I felt more energy in the air. It could only mean one thing, and that one thing everyone dreaded to see.
The lightning that would burn our friends down.
"Who hold the sky."

Something - I had no idea what, triggered something in me I had no idea existed. Everything in this burning hell became clear. Milo, Reginald, Catherine... They didn't give their lives up for nothing.
The Three had died. More could leave.

- Not more. - I whispered, staring at the bloody-red sky. I had no idea what in the universe I was doing, it just felt right.
- Not more.
These two words repeated themselves in my head, as I felt something igniting deep inside my soul. It made me stand up, facing the burning land.

I gritted my teeth in fury, my eyes locking on Miragold and Harry. They were so fragile at that moment, so defenceless... I couldn't hold it much longer.
- NO! - I shouted, doing the only thing I could think of.

I ran under the rain.

- Aiden! - Somebody called me, trying to save me, to hold me back.
I was probably screaming. Or not - I was so concerned about timing that I didn't pay any attention to that. Not more!

Death laughed maniacally, sending more and more lightnings down on the ground. I didn't even try to avoid them and it was pure luck that none of them managed to hit me. I slipped on the mug and stood up, jumping above cracks and clefts, not even caring than one wrong step - and my life is over. Just to make it in time, just to be swift enough.

I was almost deaf as lightnings were stroking everywhere around me. In one quick movement I jumped up and landed perfectly above two paralised bodies. The spot of sky above my head turned electrical yellow, as my hand grabbed the first thing it could - the iron pickaxe.
- NOT MORE! - I shouted louder than ever and in less than a second raised up my weapon.

In exactly that moment the lightning stroke.

I screamed as I felt electricity running through my body, burning me like an oven. I felt every cell in my body exploiding, felt my teeth getting hotter. My hair started smoking, and my eyes were about to boil because of unbearable heat.