Chapter 10. Into the woods it's time to go...

The very next day Gill, Maya and I were standing outside, waiting for the rest of the group to show up. Reginald took the risk and left us alone, because three guards who were supposed to go with us were still asleep. So now was the very first time in last year three of us could actually talk to each other. However, we remind silence: everyone was thinking about the journey. Will we meet any grounders? If we will, how will they treat us? And what will happen if it turnes out that there are no more people? Will my life become even worse than before?

Looked like my friends were thinking that way as well. Maya leaned against the wall, looking somewhere beyond our world. Gill was biting his lower lip, his eyes closed. I knew that he was trying to find some answers in the only thing that could calm him down - religion. And now, when both of them were so still I could understand how much they've changed. Usually so arrogant and strong Maya became silent and skinny, I saw her ribs even through her clothes. Gill became even more closed from the outside world, he lost his volubility. I sighed sadly, not being able to believe that we used to be a gang of thieves and liars. Deep inside I missed those days. Those days, when I wasn't too scared to talk. Those days, when I was bold. When I was free.

Suddenly I heard a loud conversation. Judging by my friends' reaction they heard it too. Then four people came to us, talking to each other. I instantly recognised Reginald, who seemed to be annoyed by the rest of the group. Right behind him three people came along, all of them wore guard's uniforms.

The first one was a man with blonde hair, which actually reminded me of Lukas. But, unlike my former friend, this guy had blue dye at the tips of his hair. He also had an eyepatch on his left eye, and that for whatever reason made me shudder. I never liked people with some serious injures like that, because it always seemed to me that these people are always missing a part of their soul. I knew it was ridiculous to think that way, but I made a mental note to be careful around this guy.

The second one was a tiny black-skinned girl with two short orange pingtails, sticking out from her helmet. She was almost half a block shorter than her friends, but I got a vibe she was really strong for her size. Her light blue eyes reminded me at the same time of the sky and of the cold ice.

And there also was another girl, who seemed to be the most chill of all. She had an obsidian-black hair and a ponytail on the right side of her head. Her stormy grey eyes were half-closed, as if she was always so deep in her thoughts she never payed attention to the outside world. However, that illusion broke when all of them came closer to us: she was looking at my friends and me with pure interest and a sign of caution.

Every guard stopped talking and drew attention to us. I tried to smile, but the short girl and a boy snorted in irritation. Reginald coughed to get everyone's attention.
- Alright, as you all know, we were asked to search through the nearest to our city woods and try to find any signs of another civilisation here. Now, I know that not everyone here trusts everyone, - He almost pointed at my friends and me. - But we're on a mission, so let's only think about it. Aiden, Maya, Gill, meet the new members of the royal guard: Jordan, Miragold and Honor.

- Hey. - A black-headed girl, Honor, smiled. I smiled back, Maya waved and Gill just nodded.
- Wait-wait-wait, why are they not handcuffed? - Another girl, Miragold, flinched. - What if they are dangerous?
- Come on, M, it's four against three. - Jordan pointed. - They are too cowardish to attack, especially the bruise boy.

He looked at me, saying the last words, and I felt an urge to punch his arrogant face. However, I just ignored the insult. I used to be a bully, I know how it works.
- Jordan, that's enough! - Reginald growled. - Everyone here has something to prove, so instead of argueing let's focus on that, alright?
- Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, capitan! - He sighed, though I knew it was far from over.