Chapter 12. Attack.

It was pretty warm outside, but the wind was cool. I shivered, because something was off. I had no idea what, but I could feel it in the air, like the danger itself was hanging right above our little group. Probably it had something to do with missing Reginald, but there also was something else, something, that made me really watchful. However, nobody else seemed to notice. I sighed. Was I paranoid again?

- But shouldn't we go looking for him? - Jordan asked.
- Look, I don't think we'll be able to find him without help. - Wise Honor pointed. - No, it's better if we go to the city and tell Miss Founder. She'll know what to do.
- But what if we have no time? - Gill interrupted. Jordan snapped his fingers and pointed at my friend.
- He's got a point. - He said.
- What if it's a trap? - Miragold gasped and looked around. - What if grounders abducted Reginald and are trying to lead us into a trap?
- It is possible. - I nodded. - It means, we can't know for sure what to do. But I think it'd be better if we went to the city. There are more trained guards there, so if anything happens, we can just scream for help.

- Okay, okay. - Jordan smirked. - But Bruise boy will go first.
- Are you using him as a bait?! - Maya hissed.
- Well, yeah. - Miragold scoffed. - Otherways he's useless.
- Fine! - I stopped the fight at the very beginning. - I'll go first, but you have to show me which direction the city is.
- It's over there. - Honor pointed.

I sighed and started walking, feeling the rest of the group behind me. I understood why they wanted me to go first - the most dangerous position should be taken by either the bravest one, or the most unnecessary one. But that evening when Gill, Maya and I told everyone our stories, the guards seemed to finally start to like us. Guess, it was just tempotarily.

Suddenly my friends came closer to me, smiling. I smiled back, as Maya put her hand on my shoulder.
- Forget about them. - She recommended. - Jordan and Miragold are just jerks.
- I don't think they are. - I opposed. - They simply don't like us, that's all.
- Well, I think Jordan is fine with me. - Gill said. - And Miragold is probably alright.

I turned around and saw three guards friendly talking to each other.
- I wonder if they could ever forget about the incident. - Maya sighed.
- I'm not sure about forgetting, but I think we can make them forgive. - Gill shrugged. Even though he usually seemed pretty dumb, he actually was really smart when he wanted to be.
- You, guys, can. - I rubbed the back of my head. - You have the parole. And I... The only person who likes me and can do something is now missing.

For a few moments we were walking in silence, until Gill smiled to me.
- By the way, we didn't even thank you for what you've done for us. - He said. - You know, when you told the jury that the whole incident had only been your fault.
- Yeah. - Maya nodded. - That actually was really noble.
- You're welcome. - I shrugged.

Then, all of a sudden, I felt cold waves coming through my body. All the colours, all the sounds faded away, the only thing I could hear was my loud breath. It looked like my friends were trying to ask something, but I couldn't hear a thing. Until I heard footsteps. They were really loud, but fast, so whoever was following us must've been crawling.

A moment later everything came back to normal. I fell on the ground, shaking for an unknown reason. Somehow I knew that we were followed.
- Stand up, criminal! - Miragold ordered, taking out her sword.
I obeyed and then harshly turned around, just to see a person behind a birch.
- There! - I pointed at them, and this time, when everyone looked in that direction, the stranger wasn't too fast to hide.

-Hey! - Miragold shouted, running closer to the person and taking out her iron sword. However, the grounder didn't want to be caught, so they started running away, disappearing into the woods.
Honor and Jordan took out their weapons, and all the guards started following the person. My friends helped me up, and, without hesitating, we joined the chase.