Chapter 9. Grounders.

It was a footprint in the mug. Just a footprint, but the reason it made Reginald and me flinch was that it seemed like whoever left it was barefoot. Now, this wasn't normal, because everyone from Sky City wore shoes. And it would be highly unlikely that somebody would take them off just to run around under the rain. Besides, everybody hated rain, and I could relate.

- You see it too, right? - Reginald whispered. I nodded.
- I don't get it. Why would anybody take off their shoes to just run right after the storm? I don't know anyone like this, and I know everyone in Sky City! - He continued.

Then a sudden guess appeared in my head, making me shudder.
- What if it wasn't somebody from Sky City? - I asked.
Capitan of the royal guard gasped and looked around, as if he was looking for whoever left the footprint.
- You don't think there might be other people on the ground, do you? - Reginald gulped. - The ones, who has always lived here?
- I have no idea, but it's possible. After all, you found ground not so long ago, and the majority of it is still unknown.

The guard thought for a second and then looked at me, his eyes were filled with worry.
- We have to tell Miss Founder. - He said, as if it wasn't obvious. I didn't actually want to talk to her, but Reginald already started dragging me away, so I had no choice but to walk with him.

My leg was still hurting a little, but I tried to not be too slow. Capitan of the royal guard often looked around, prepared to attack, but when we came to the city he relaxed. I, on the other hand, felt much more uncomfotable here, when everybody stared at me with pure hate and disgust. Suddenly, Harry and John appeared right in front of me, and it was I miracle I didn't bump into them.

- Where are you taking this prisoner? - Harry asked, and his voice was filled with poison. - Did he do something wrong again?
- No, he didn't. - Reginald answered angrily. - We're going to The Founder to tell her about something. And you two should mind your own business.
I almost smiled when I saw their confused faces. Huh, they didn't expect that somebody would stand up to them, but here Reginald was.

None of them said a word as we passed by, only sent me murdering gazes. After all, Reginald was their capitan, and these two couldn't disobey him.
- Thank you. - I whispered when we were far enough from the bullies.
- You're welcome. - Was the answer. - But I'll talk to them later. They've got a lot of things to explain.
I chuckled. Maybe my future wasn't so dark after all.

We passed Maya and Gill, who were so busy working on their little farm they didn't even notice me. There were two guards watching them, but they were pretty relaxed. Everyone around me was working and preparing for the selebration. Oh, yeah, there would be a huge selebration in a week, because it would be exactly one year since the ground was discovered. Of course, everyone was excited, so now was the worst time for anything to go wrong.

Reginald and I walked closer to a high tower right in the centre of the new city. It was made of stone bricks and oak wood planks. As we walked inside, we appeared in a hallway with plenty of doors and a staircase upstairs. I had no idea where to go, but lucky for me Reginald knew exactly where Miss Founder is.

She and Milo were sitting in a big room, discussing something in front of a big map. The map was so big it covered an entire wall. It represented the city, every building was shown.

When we came in, both rulers turned around and looked at us surprisingly. The Founder didn't even try to hide hate towards me, but Milo gave me a week smile. I suddenly felt fear but stood still, not moving at all and barely breathing. Reginald broke the intense silence.
- Ma-am. Sir. I'm afraid I have bad news.

I saw how The Founder flenched her fists but Milo put a hand on her shoulder, trying to calm her down.
- Look, why don't we let them continue, eh? - He said.
Coal-headed woman sighed and looked at the guardian.
- What did he do, Reginald? - Her voice made me shudder. She was definitely one of these people who can be really frightening whenever they need to. Just like Jesse.