Chapter 20. Doomed.

Their fate was clear from the beginning,
Their destiny is bright as day,
They all will play a part in story,
Their lives will never be in vane.
Each one of them will have their moment,
To see, what they are meant to give.
And in the end one can't be changed:
The Three must die and more can live.

I closed my eyes, whispering the prophecy to myself. There was no point in denying it's sense - I knew exactly what it meant. The others looked at one another, a spark of hope and disbelief was shimmering in their eyes.
- Please, tell me I misunderstand it. - Jordan gulped.
- I'm afraid, Aiden has improved his powers. - Miss Founder shook her head. - It is obvious what this prophecy means.

- No! - I gasped, grabbing my forehead. - This... This can't be true! There has to be another explanation! There has to.
- I... - Maya sighed. - I really doubt it, Aiden.
- No... - I suddenly felt cold void appearing inside my soul. I've just sentenced three innocent people to die!

Cat put her hand on my shoulder and smiled weakly.
- Not your fault. - She whispered, her different eyes filled with sympathy.
- No... No, it is. - I answered, my voice shaking. - I was the one, who created the prophecy. If... If it wasn't for me, then...
- You don't create future. - Gill said sadly. - You just help us understand it and prepare for it. If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have known about the lightnings, and much more people would've died.

- But still... - Milo whispered, reading the writing again. - We can't save everyone. Somebody is to die.
For a few seconds everybody was silent, thinking. Then I saw Honor taking a deep breath and stepping in front, her hand on her heart.
- I volunteer. - The obsidian-headed guard said, but her voice shook in the middle.
- No! - Literally everyone gasped, looking at her.
- Yes. - The female nodded and turned to The Founder. - If this is the only way I can help, then let it be.

- Honor, are you sure? - Reginald asked, his eyes filled with hesitation.
- Yes, I am. - She sighed. - When I became the guard, I gave an oath to protect the civillians. And I'll never go back on that promise. Even if it means sacrifising myself.
I was speechless, especially when Jordan and Miragold looked at each other, stepping to their friend.
- She's right. - The short female nodded. - As the members of the royal guard, we are to put interests of others before ours.
- We are volunteering too. - Jordan said calmly, and all three of them put their hands on their hearts.

- No. - Miss Founder refused. - You are too young to die. I swore to defend my people as well, so if anybody is sacrifising themselves it is me.
- Isa, you can't! - Milo gasped. - You are our ruler, you can't die!
- This is exactly why you can't volunteer. - The female leader shook her head. - The people will need you to be in charge.
- Ma-am. - Reginald sighed. - You are too important. Let me be the one to give up life. This is my duty.

I bit my lower lip. It all was too wrong, all these completely innocent people willing to die, saving others. Neither one of them deserved that! I was about to step out of the line and volunteer myself, but Gill gestured for me to stop.
- Everybody, just calm down. - He said, raising his hand in the air. - This is all very noble, but I'm afraid none of it would help.
- What do you mean? - Milo frowned. - The prophecy made it clear that three people must die and everybody else will live.