Chapter Fourteen *

Start from the beginning

She was so beautiful, words could not describe this doll-like perfection. This incredible beauty that my eyes bestowed.

"What will happen to me?"

The vampire turned her head to me and gave me a small smile. It exposed her fangs and fear rushed through me. It dawned on me, as unrealistic and ridiculous as it sounds, I'm in a castle that's crawling with vampires. I am never making it out here, I'm as good as dead.

I am going to die and I haven't even seen my mom yet. I haven't hugged her and told her how much I love her, I haven't said goodbye and most importantly, I haven't apologised to her for wandering around and getting myself into this trouble. I should have listened to all her warnings.

"Well, I'll take you to the dungeon with the rest where the Count will feed on you the most, probably for as long as he can until you die,"

"Why feed on me the most?"

She smirked, "because child, you're a virgin and virgin blood tastes the best, "

"How do you know that I'm a virgin?"

She chuckled, "I can smell it. Everyone can smell it."

I nodded my head. I was so afraid and I had so many questions but I was afraid of the answers, so we walked in silence. We went downstairs, I could barely see anything. There was a guard and he opened the door to the dungeon and led the way.

He opened up the gate and I knew it meant that I had to enter it. I slowly made my way into the dark cell and sat down beside someone who sobbed.

No one spoke in the dungeon it was as if we were all on our own.

The next few weeks I felt as if I was abused. Count Dracula exists and he drank from me every second day. He'd nearly empty me and then give me some time to refuel, at least I was treated like royalty after every feed I was given food and water and led back to the dungeon.

Today they'll come down for me again, it's the second day and I've been here for three weeks now. It feels longer though.

On cue, the vampire came down to take me to The Count. We walked in silence.

"You know, I've been a human before this curse, "

I didn't feel like talking, although the vampire and I always traded stories as I was taken up to The Count.

"I hate that you're being drained like this... It's midday you know, the sun is shining brightly. It's our weakness, all of ours."

I just glanced at the vampire.

"You're Catholic, huh?"

The vampire looked at the crucifix that hung around my neck, I remember that mama gave it to me. She said:

"Nicolene, danger lurks in every corner. Evil, like the devil itself. Put this around your neck, it'll always protect you."

I never took it off, although I didn't really believe that it could have actual protection abilities.

"Yeah, "

"Make sure it doesn't show like it's showing right now... And use it child, when the time is right, use it. Remember, "

The vampire said and leaned into my ear and whispered, "the sun is shining... Brightly."

We reached Count Dracula's room where she knocked and he ordered us to enter. His room was very large, he sleeps in a red coffin. Above the coffin is a portrait of himself and on the way to his coffin is a red carpet.

His room had many candles because his thick curtains gave the constant illusion that it's night outside. I would have never guessed that it's midday if the vampire hasn't emphasised it so much.

I knew the drill, not to struggle or else he smacks me again and roughly draws my blood. I've learned to be obedient, and I hated obeying.

I walked up to him and tilted my head to the side and removed my pitch black hair from my neck, exposing my artery.

The Count rushed over to me and inserted his fangs into my veins and I winced. It stung each time and each time he drew blood it hurt twice as much.

I closed my eyes and bit my lower lip. Once I opened my eyes, the vampire nodded her head and I understood.

As The Count drank my blood, I removed the cross from my neck and placed it against his hand that held me tight. I could hear how his skin burned. He pushed me away and screamed out in agony. Soon vampires stormed into the room and I held the cross out before them. They hissed and moved back from me, including The Count.

I scanned the room, there was no way out. If I went out by the door I'd be caught and killed instantly. I looked at his thick black curtains, the only way was through the window, especially since the sun is out. None of them could chase after me.

So, I walked over to the window sill with the cross tightly in my grip and I broke the window and got on the roof of the castle.

"No!" The Count cried but I couldn't be bothered.

All I know is that I was still bleeding from his bite and I needed help as soon as possible. I carefully made my way down to the ground, and once my feet touched the ground I could finally put some pressure on the bleeding.

The hot sun was getting to me. I dragged myself around and wanted to pass out, but I couldn't. I had to be gone before the sunset. I fought it, but it was too much for me to bear and I fell down underneath the shade of a tree. With no one in sight.