On the Mat - Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

Jenna reached to her side for the remote, sleek and black, its length reminiscent of a brick cell phone though much slimmer. She pressed play, pulled up her legs underneath her and snuggled deeper into Jason's side. Home.

Jason and her began their relationship all mixed up. Usually it's boy meets girl, they like each other, learn about each other before progressing to dates and kissing. Sex and love follows after until the next progression of marriage and kids. If they were lucky.

With them it was boy meets girl, then sex and lots of it. Then they started learning more about the other and enjoyed hanging out together. They were progressing towards love - well she was already there- with the ball in Jason's court. For any possible future they might have Jenna would have to meditate and interpret the images she might see.

In the meantime, she had Ghostbusters one through three, good food and man that could make her toes curl with just a smile.

She was happy.

But it wouldn't be until later, when Jenna heartily wished she'd never learned how much time they really had left.

***

It was the middle of the night. Feeling restless Jenna had slipped out of bed. The moon light streamed through the window. She looked back at Jason still asleep in bed.

Something whispered deep in her subconscious waking her. Something that begged her to listen closely.

Jenna sat down on the floor in front of the end of the bed. Bathed in moonlight, she closed her eyes breathed in and out. In and out. Slower and longer. Her chest rising and falling.

She sat as still as a Greek statue. If Jason were to wake up he'd be worried something wasn't wrong because by now you couldn't tell if she was breathing. If she was alive.

Jenna had entered another plane. A plane of nothingness, calmness and thoughtlessness. Finally empty and a receptacle to receive messages the vision. Which first came in a tiny pinprick of light, the picture slowly unfurling itself before sucking her in.

Jenna laid asleep in Jason's bed while Jason walked around his room gathering his things. He tread as soft as possible afraid to wake her up. But she already was, her puffy eyes kept them closed. And the fear of watching him walk out the door, into his car and head to wherever he was going before being shipped out to war overseas.

Jason's mouth touched hers and Jenna almost let out the sob desperately trying to claw its way out her throat to beg him not to go. To stay. Promising him a lifetime of being his sex slave. Instead she swallowed it down and kept her mouth shut. She wanted Jason more than any man she ever wanted. But she wasn't going to guilt him to staying. So when his lips left hers and she heard this sounds of feet growing softer before they disappeared, she said to herself, "Goodbye Jason. I love you."

The scene switched. Jenna stood outside, the sun beating high in the sky and beating down on her. The word sold plastered on the dangling for sale sign on Jason's mail box. It switched again to a huge, hulking but friendly black man with tears in his eyes and gripping a cane. They embraced, holding each other as if they were driftwood to keep from drowning the sadness permeating the room. He said goodbye and promised to keep in touch. After closing the door, Jenna walked back to her living room and stood before the mantle. With trembling hands she picked up the triangular memorial case with American flag inside. She pressed it into her bosom with one arm, the other clutching her swollen belly and let the wracking sobs consume her body as she dropped to her knees.

Jenna felt the tears track down her cheeks, to her jaw and to collarbone. Still she didn't open her eyes. Her closed eyelids were the only thing holding back the floodgates behind her eyes. She focused in slowly coming out of her meditation. Then nearly jumped out of her skin as calloused palms swiped and tried to dry the tears from her eyes and across her cheeks.