A midsummer midnight

Start from the beginning

Arnav turned to face Khushi's pleasantly surprised face.
Winds blew in their direction in the melody of their trademark tune.
Rabba Vey!

“What is this?"she asked, looking at him with eyes filled with hope.

“Nothing much."he answered shrugging his shoulders. “Just a small surprise for you to thank you for tonight's dinner.”

“This is a small surprise? Then what is big surprise, Mr.Raizada?”she wandered around the terrace gazing at the beautiful lights.

He chuckled looking at her childlike excitement. "Hold your horses, Khushi. There are more surprises awaiting you. Come near the table...”

As she came near the table, she saw that there was a delicious looking chocolate cake awaiting her.  It was simple and sweet, without unnecessary decorations.
Exactly  like she liked it.

It had been years since she had eaten a cake like this

It had been years since she had eaten a cake like this. Indrani liked  to do lots of show off and had made sure to make the  birthdays of her daughters a public affair, where she would introduce people to Khushi. This would increase sponsors for temple.

It had been years since…Dev! she gasped at her thought. No! He is a closed chapter. she said to herself.

“Go ahead, have a bite.You seem to like my surprise?”

“How do you know I like this?” Khushi turned towards Arnav.

“Just a guess. Well, if you don’t like this then there is something else awaiting you which I am sure you will love!” Saying this he went  away and brought something in his hand covered with a dish. Khushi’s eyes widened when he opened the dish.

It was a stack of jalebis arranged like a cake!Jalebis!She thought excitedly like a cake

Jalebis!
She thought excitedly like a cake.

“ You are right, I love this! I am going to eat both of these dishes!” She grinned showing all of her 28 teeth and tried to catch hold of  the Jalebis.

“Uh-huh!" he kept the plate away making her frown. “You shall have dinner first and then  the sweet dishes.”

He brought forward a dish with a serving of all food  that she had made for dinner.

On seeing this, she folded her hands on her chest and pouted.

“Oh, so it was you who had taken the food? Here I was thinking that I have gone so mad that I had  misplaced the food I had kept for myself.”Khushi giggled.

“ Or rather the food that was leftover?" Arnav looked at her making her hide her face. It was true, wasn't it? The food left was in leftover quantity.

" You know Khushi, I was going to save some from my plate but the food was so tasty, I couldn’t resist overeating. I thought that you might have kept some food for yourself for sure. The food was really awesome. I haven’t had anything like that all my life, thank you.” he said in her ears making her blush.

Arnav gathered some food in a spoon.

“Open your mouth.”

She opened her eyes wide

“What?”

He stuffed the food into her mouth.

“Stop talking, Khushi. You will tire yourself, you haven’t eaten anything since this morning...”

“How do you know that?” Khushi looked at him inquisitively.

“You think that no one notices what you do and what you don't do? It didn’t go unnoticed by my eyes that you weren’t having time to serve yourself some, thanks to Shyam. How many servings did he take ?”

“ 3 servings of the Pulao , 4 servings of the Paneer , 2 servings of the Bhindi and 10 Rotis. It would be better if you don’t ask about the dessert.” She giggled.

Arnav joined her laughing out aloud.

“Imagine he eats not-so-good food like that so how must he be eating nice food? “he said making her laugh.

Seeing her laughing out so loud, he started singing.

Tumke paaya hai toh

jaise khoya hun

kehna chaahun bhi

to tumse kya kahun

He fed her more food. Once she finished it he  wiped off some rice from the corner of her lips and raised her up. Holding her by her waist, he swayed their bodies together.
She stood astounded by his actions and did as his hands framed her to, like if she was a doll, his doll.

Kisi zabaan mein who

lafz hi nahin ke

jinme tum ho kya

tumhe bata sakun

He twirled her towards himself.

main agar kahun

tumsa haseen

kaynath main

nahin hain kahin

tareef  yeh bhi kam

sach hai kuch bhi nahin.

He offered her some flowers and came down on his knees

“Khushi devi Upadhyay, will you bestow the pleasure of being Mrs Khushi Arnav Singh Raizada on me?”

Khushi looked on shocked at his proposal!