Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I walked onto the bus feeling a bit wary somehow. The hair on my neck stood up and I felt like I was being stalked or something. I did a quick 360 look, but I saw nothing. It was like whatever was watching me is somewhere in the shadows, waiting for the right moment to attack. I shook my head and shook the feeling off. It was like those cheesy horror movies where the protagonists is being followed and whoever was targeting her wants to kill her. It was possible, but my life isn't a movie, thank goodness.

With my bags in my hand, I plopped into a seat and stared out the window. Outside, boys were mingling around and some were headed this way. Girls age range from sixteen to thirty were staring openly at them as the boys walk past. It was comical to see their lustful reaction to them. The guys, for there part, ignored them completely and continued walking to the bus as if they did this everyday. Who knows? Maybe they do. Out of the corner of my eye, I detected a hint of a black shadow by the alley. It was deep black, with a hint of red where the eyes should be. I immediately swung my head that way, but it disappeared. Even with my vampire enhanced eyes, it was still hard to detect what the hell that was.

All too soon, all of the boys loaded up and we pulled away from town. My guys sat around me and are joking around, but I tuned them out, lost in thought of the dark shadow. That shadow was something that I don't recognized but I felt like I should. When the think stood in the alley, I felt a scary connection to it. My heart pumped faster, my senses went crazy, and it breathing was heavy.

"Hey, Lexi, you in there?" Lance's voice shook me out of my reverie.

I turned to look at him and smiled, "Yeah, fine. Sorry, just thinking."

I immediately changed the subject, "So, when are you dates going to come?"

Glen answered, "Since the dance is on a Saturday night, our guests are invited to come on Friday and stay for a night."

Jay nodded, "Yeah, it's been like that for awhile. Good thing there are a lot of guest bedrooms."

"Not that they ever use them," Heath murmured.

We laughed at that and I shook my head. These girls wouldn't want to spend a night in their rooms since they can spend the night with a hot guy.

We finally reached NA (Nightshade Academy) and we got off the bus, every one of us has bags on their arms. We walked inside to be greeted by Xerin, standing on the steps of the front doors.

"I hope all of you had a great time. Please return to your dorms. There will be an assembly after dinner," Xerin dismissed us and but he called me back.

"Alexandrina, come to my office," and I followed Xerin reluctantly to his no-life room.

I sat gingerly on his chair and he turn to look at me.

"Who did you ask to the dance?" he asked me abruptly.

I looked at him with raised eyebrows, "And this is your business how?"

"You must understand that your father had warned me to look out for you. Since you are new here, I would like to make sure your escort will not make an attempt to hurt you," he replied with a look.

"Shouldn't it be the other way around. I mean, come on, I'm the one going to a vampire school," I said.

He shook his head, "Sadly, that's not the case. There are many things out there that even a vampire can't kill."

I looked at him in confusion and Xerin cleared his throat.

"Never mind, the point is, before you go to the dance, I want you to talk to Viper. He shall give you a knife to protect yourself," he said unexpectedly.

I looked at him as if he was crazy, "I don't think I really need to protect myself from Trent." I immediately shut my mouth, regretting of what I blurt out.

Xerin narrowed his eyes and he said, "Just do as I say. You're dismissed."

I left the room, puzzling over Xerin's reaction when I blurted Trent's name. That was just weird, but going to an all-boys vampire school, I was just getting use to is.

I walked into my apartment to find the boys all sitting on the couch, eyes glued to the television. Dane, however, was nowhere in sight. I sighed, and ignored them as I walked into my room to set my clothes inside my closet. I looked around my room to see my clothes piling up in the corner. Oh, damn, laundry time. I sighed, and went to pick up my dirty uniform and clothes.

I walked outside and asked the guys, "Where's the laundry room, guys?"

Without looking away from the screen, Lance replied, "Down the hallway, to the right."

I walked down the semi-light hallway and round the corner to see a huge room full of washing machines and dryers. Not bad, I had to admit. Now let's see if I can work this thing. Being a rich girl, I really never did my own laundry before.

I dumped my clothes in and was trying to figure which buttons to press when a voice said, "The red button."

I turned around to see Dane standing, with his own stack of clothes to wash. I nodded in thanks and pressed the button and poured some soap in.

"Not too much, just about 2/3 of a cup," he suggested and I complied.

"How do you know so much about laundry?" I asked him, half joking.

He stared at me intensely, "It's not rocket science."

"Right, well, this is my first time, so cute me some slack," I said defensively.

"Rich parents?" he asked.

"Aren't we all in order to go to this school?"

"Good point," and he start his washing machine next to mine.

I waited in silence as I stared at the machine as it made some swirly noise. I wonder if the thing is about to erupt or something.

"So, did you find a date yet?" Dane asked me. His face revealed a mask that showed no emotion.

I shrugged, "I guess. A dude named Trent."

"Trent? As in Cindy's brother?" He asked me, shocked.

"Yeah," and I studied his expression.

"Shit." was all he said.

"Why?" I asked him warily.

"After the ball, Cindy was nuts after me. I swear, I couldn't go for a second without her demanding to know where I was," he replied.

"Seriously?"

He nodded, his face told me that he was telling the truth.

"Is every girl like that?" I asked him.

"Most are," he replied.

I thought about the girl in Luxurious. She was nuts, and she was holding a knife, silver at that. Her expression looked liked she was in a trance, her eyes glazed all over. I turned to Dane and told him about the girl.

"That's weird," he said, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. Needless to say, his face was so hot like that. What the hell was wrong with me?

I was about to say something when Dane's phone rang. He took out his iPhone and answered. The phone call took awhile and then he faced me.

"It was my parents. They said that they are coming home from France to visit me in time for the ball," he said and his look showed disdain.

"Oh," I said.

"They are taking my "date", Felicity, with them," he said.

From his expression, I can tell that he was really sad and miserable when he said that. Dane's parents are bringing his date, Felicity, the girl that had been set up for him, here. And they are going to the ball together.