1. Lost and Found

Start from the beginning

My mind stopped wandering at the sight of the poor old man. Damn, he looked so cold as he hugged his dog. A feeling of slight guilt rolled on to me. Here I was holding my nice hot chocolate that I didn't really need. I thought again of why I wanted this drink- simply to quench my gluttony desires. I was also much more well dressed and warm compared to the old man.

I sighed then walked back towards the man and crouched next to him. I offered him the hot chocolate. At first he refused, but I lied and told him that I ordered the wrong drink, telling him that he might need it more than me. He then received it with grateful smile that reached his eyes. We talked briefly, introduced ourselves and I even patted Ajax, Mike's faithful German Sheppard dog. I bid him farewell and walked to my office with a satisfied heart.

A good deed well done for the day. I ended up doing the same for him every time I saw him on my way to the café.

One day, as I began to stand from my crouching position beside him to walk away, he called me back, "Leigh Ann, wait!" he said placing his wrinkly hand on my elbow.

He reached on his pocket and pulled out a simple silver ring with carvings on it. "Here," he said while putting it on my palm. "I want you to have it. I found it in a box near a dumpster this morning. This is the only thing I can give you to repay the little comforts of hot chocolate you gave me and Ajax. Please take it." he said with a small smile.

I couldn't help but saw sincerity as well as wisdom in his eyes that came in with age. It was as if he had seen life through his thousand-year eyes.

"Mike, are you sure?"

He nodded and continued, "A simple yet beautiful ring for a sincere, kind hearted, beautiful young woman! Can't see it better on anyone else. May this ring bring you magic that will help you find your destiny and a home."

I smiled at his sincere, touching yet unusual wording.

Old people.

"I have a home, Mike, and what destiny do you have in mind for me?" he raised his brow.

"I said 'home' not a 'house'; those two have very different definitions. And as for you, Leigh Ann, you are destined for extraordinary things. You are no mediocre, my dear."

I shook my head, smiling. How I wanted to believe in this extraordinary destiny. I didn't feel like I should accept the gift, yet I could see that by accepting it would made him feel better, so I squeezed his hand with my hand, thanked him and left for work.

The thought of Mike and his dog Ajax brought a smile to my face. Then I remembered my situation and snorted.

Hmph, I guess I got my extraordinary day right now. Being lost is extraordinarily me, I thought sarcastically.

Speaking of me, maybe I hit my head, sleepwalked and ended up in the middle of nowhere, though that theory sounded ridiculous and unlikely.

"Ugh!" I groaned and throw my fists in the air, mad and frustrated at no one.

I looked around as I tried hard to remember what happened. Nothing came up.

I was lost in the middle of a forest with no sense of direction or time. I raked my brain, trying to find a solution to this predicament. I remembered watching the National Geographic and decided to find any river- if there was any- and follow it- hoping to find civilization as I trace the stream.

The thing was, I saw no river around. I closed my eyes, trying to hear any sound of water flowing. I heard my own heartbeat, the birds chirping, the sound of the rustling of the leaves, and the sound of little animals in the forest. This was very peaceful and calming. But no river or any small water flow to be heard.